And we're back!

Main Menu

American beer

Started by Gups, January 04, 2013, 12:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2013, 12:09:23 PM
I thought Grolsch was Dutch.

PBR is the official hipster beer.  It used to be a national megabrew competing with Bud and Miller, then declined to an old man beer until recently resurrrected.

Where does MGD stand now?  I seem to recall seeing more white people ordering it in recent years.  Has it gone hipster as well?

katmai

It barely does.

Quotefrom nov, 2011 report

24/7 Wall Street reported in September that the beer has sank from 7.2 million barrels sold in 1992 to 1.8 million barrels sold in 2010.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on January 04, 2013, 10:45:28 PM
Ultimately, you can't go wrong with Sam Adams.

The ad campaigns with that drop down drunk alcoholic founder/owner inserting himself everywhere is more annoying than anything Spuds McKenzie, mimicking frogs, snarky chameleons or bottles with football helmets ever did.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 05, 2013, 09:40:20 AM
Quote from: Scipio on January 04, 2013, 10:45:28 PM
Ultimately, you can't go wrong with Sam Adams.

The ad campaigns with that drop down drunk alcoholic founder/owner inserting himself everywhere is more annoying than anything Spuds McKenzie, mimicking frogs, snarky chameleons or bottles with football helmets ever did.

I find the one with all their employees boozing it up to be the most laughable.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Agreed that Sam Adams is pretty decent.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 04, 2013, 06:13:17 PM
Tons of West Coast IPA's and Imperial IPA's are way, way overhopped in my opinion.  Dogfish 120 is far too much for me as well.
:hug:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: katmai on January 05, 2013, 09:35:38 AM
It barely does.

Quotefrom nov, 2011 report

24/7 Wall Street reported in September that the beer has sank from 7.2 million barrels sold in 1992 to 1.8 million barrels sold in 2010.

Huh. Meanwhile, Genesee Cream Ale has greatly expanded in geographic distribution.   :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sophie Scholl

That's because Genesee was bought out by North American Brewers, aka Labatt, who renovated them and then flipped the improved brewery to a line of buyers.  I believe they are currently owned by a... Coasta Rican Company?  Glad they're doing well these days, but a shame they aren't locally owned anymore.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

I want to break a bottle over the head of that stupid fucking lush that runs Sam Adams.  Slurring ass drunken motherfucker.

Sheilbh

I like Blue Moon and Brooklyn Lager.

Some Sainsbury's have a weirdly amazing selection of US and British craft beers. The Whitechapel one was incredible and they were always on offer :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Hey Shiv, is it true that the Newcastle Ale they sell here is a totally different brew than the Newcastle Ale made in the UK?  I seem to recall hearing that somewhere.

Fireblade

Can we all agree that the best bottom of the barrel beer is Miller High Life?

For macrobrew, it's got some flavor to it. It doesn't taste weird, it's readily available, and you can get a 32oz hog's leg for like $1.25.

CountDeMoney

My parents used to buy Miller High Life in those little ass 7 ounce pony bottles.  Used to sit in the fridge for months on end.  :lol:

Fireblade

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 05, 2013, 11:05:37 PM
My parents used to buy Miller High Life in those little ass 7 ounce pony bottles.  Used to sit in the fridge for months on end.  :lol:

High Life only tastes good out of the big 32oz cans. It tastes like shit in regular sized cans. You know, considering that Miller calls High Life that "champagne of beers", they should totally sell them in champagne bottles. As long as they sold it a price a low-rung Arkansas civil servant can afford, I'd drink the fuck out of it.

I'm debating what I should drink next: Another hog leg of High Life or a Ranger IPA.  :hmm: