News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

American beer

Started by Gups, January 04, 2013, 12:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I am very content with the development of the North American craft brew scene in the last decade :cheers:

Sophie Scholl

The brewery I work for (F.X. Matt Brewing Co. of Utica, NY) does the majority of Brooklyn's beers via contract, so I feel obligated to suggest trying that first.  It's a nice drinkable lager.  The Blue Moon is a Coors beer at its roots, and has gotten steadily less of a traditional Belgian White in style and more watered down and sweetened up in comparison to the taste it should have over the years.  Other than that, people seem to be spot on with their suggestions. 

Sidenote:  Jacob, I'm loving the boom in craft and micro brews within the US, but abhor the industry's obsession with over hopped beers.  I convinced it is a by product of people who don't like beer trying to be "cool" and get in on the scene.  You can drink shit non-craft beer and be mocked or down a high alcohol content, super hopped IPA, and kill your taste buds by nursing down a beer.  After that, it's quicker to get drunk and you can't taste the beer anymore, so it doesn't matter what you're drinking and whether you'd "like" it normally.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

derspiess

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 04, 2013, 05:04:07 PM
Sidenote:  Jacob, I'm loving the boom in craft and micro brews within the US, but abhor the industry's obsession with over hopped beers.  I convinced it is a by product of people who don't like beer trying to be "cool" and get in on the scene. 

Depends on what you consider over-hopped, I suppose.  I like hops and while there are some beers that are too hoppy (particularly for certain styles), I'm happy with the overall trend-- I've rarely had a beer that was so heavily hopped I couldn't taste anything else.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sophie Scholl

Tons of West Coast IPA's and Imperial IPA's are way, way overhopped in my opinion.  Dogfish 120 is far too much for me as well.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Jacob

I'm with B.A. - I don't enjoy the taste of hops in my beer, so I've been disappointed when I've ordered, say, lagers that were quite hoppy. I do think some people equate hops with sophistication when it comes to microbrews which I think is silly. Luckily, however, there are plenty of non-hoppy beers being made as well so I'll just leave the hop beers to those who enjoy them.

Sophie Scholl

:cheers:  Good man.  I don't mind some hops, I just think hops should be a part of one's beer, not the whole beer.  I'm definitely more of a malt guy though though between the two.

ulmont

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 04, 2013, 06:15:54 PM
:cheers:  Good man.  I don't mind some hops, I just think hops should be a part of one's beer, not the whole beer.  I'm definitely more of a malt guy though though between the two.

:cheers:  You are completely correct here.

Josquius

I remember having Brooklyn once. it was....drinkable. but not great. sort of budweiseresque uric.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 04, 2013, 06:15:54 PM

You might actually like the IPA I'm having right now. It's got hops of course but there's some strong maltiness that shines through. Great balance, arguably closer to a standard American pale ale.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2013, 12:10:24 PM
Sam Adams is a fine beer, don't think you'll go wrong there. 

Yeah, I don't drink beer very much anymore, but when I do, it's almost always Sam Adams.  Even their light beer is pretty good--in fact, in some ways, I prefer it to their regular Boston lager.  And some of their seasonal/specialty brews are excellent, but a few of them I don't particularly care for.

Scipio

Quote from: Gups on January 04, 2013, 12:04:15 PM
Taking my son and a couple of his pals to a yankee BBQ joint on Sunday. I will need a few beers to get through the experience. I always like to try stuff I haven't before, so woudl appreciate some guidance. Here's the list

Samuel Adams (tried before, but not on tap - remember it being excellent)
Bud, Coors, Moosehead, Grolsch, Corona - not interested in any of these.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - tempted to give this a go in honour of CCR but get the impression it's a pretty crap beer. True?
Brooklyn Lager - ???
Sierra Nevada - love this beer, would be my default choice
Old Dominion Old Barrell Stout - ???
Blue Moon Wheat Beer - ???

Sierra Nevada has declined slightly in quality.

PBR is novelty.  It is a classic example of American pilsner.  I would skip it.

Brooklyn Lager is a very nice Vienna lager with an American twist: dry-hopping.

I haven't had the OD Barrel Stout, but I do recall loving OD's beers back in the day.

Skip Blue Moon- it's a poor man's Hoegaarden.

Ultimately, you can't go wrong with Sam Adams.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Scipio

Quote from: merithyn on January 04, 2013, 10:46:56 PM
I like Blue Moon! :mad:
He's a lot closer to Hoegaarden than to where they brew Blue Moon.  On balance, I pick closer and fresher.  And better.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

OttoVonBismarck

How about being a real American and having a Bourbon?

derspiess

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 04, 2013, 11:46:01 PM
How about being a real American and having a Bourbon?

Sounds good to me.  Unfortunately Gups ain't American :(