News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

High School Reunion - Yay or Nay?

Started by merithyn, January 03, 2013, 02:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you go to your high school reunions?

Yep! They're fun!
No freaking way. I left that claptrap behind for a reason.
I've never been invited to one.
I didn't go to high school, but if I had, I would.
I didn't go to high school, but if I had, there's no way I'd go back.

Josquius

didn't go to high school.
wouldn't go to a college  reunion, that's  terrible and had no atmosphere.
May go to a comprehensive school reunion just to laugh....providing things work out to  me of course
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

I would definitely go to a law school reunion...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Haven't had a formal reunion and don't think I ever will as I don't think they're formally organized over here, but I'd definitely go to one if it came to be. Who is normally in charge of this kind of stuff? The school itself or some busybody in each promotion?

sbr

My 25th is this year too.  I doubt I'll go but there is a very slim chance I could grace them with my presence.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on January 03, 2013, 10:32:24 PM
Who is normally in charge of this kind of stuff? The school itself or some busybody in each promotion?

Usually some busybody graduate.  Like Meri.  :P

katmai

No HS reunion to go even if i wanted to.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 03, 2013, 10:38:56 PM
Who is normally in charge of this kind of stuff? The school itself or some busybody in each promotion?

Oh HELL no! Not on your fucking life. :glare:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Larch

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 03, 2013, 10:38:56 PM

It must be hellish to try to reach the people. On my last year in HS we must have been around 200 people there, and I guess that even with the cooperation of the administration staff you could get at most the old phone numbers of our parents. You must have quite a lot of spare time just to get in touch with so many people.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on January 03, 2013, 02:40:27 PM
I haven't, but when 25 comes up (in :o four years! :o) I'd go.  What the hell - I'm curious how people turned out.

And you might think "what is he worried about - he's a successful lawyer".  Well, I went to a pretty competitive Jesuit all-boys high school.  5 of my classmates (out of a graduating class of ~100) went to law school that I know of (so pretty sure there are more out there).  I'll hardly be the shining success in the room.

But really - what's the worst that could happen?  You have a boring evening and leave early.  Still worth it.

But how many of them have lawyered in the Yukon? :Canuck:

merithyn

Quote from: The Larch on January 03, 2013, 10:48:02 PM
It must be hellish to try to reach the people. On my last year in HS we must have been around 200 people there, and I guess that even with the cooperation of the administration staff you could get at most the old phone numbers of our parents. You must have quite a lot of spare time just to get in touch with so many people.

Pretty much, if you're interested in reunions, you're expected to sign up with the alumni organization. My high school has a massive alumni organization. Even before the internet, you could easily sign up with them, where anyone interested in being on the reunion committee could then get the necessary information to send out invitations and additional information. There was even a fund for paying for mailing supplies, decorations, etc. that came from alumni donations and dues.

Given that my graduating class had 499 in it, it would be a nightmare to try to do otherwise. The internet has helped tremendously. At the 10-year reunion, there was something like 200 that were considered "lost". For our 25th, there's only something like 50 or so considered "lost".
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Larch

Quote from: merithyn on January 03, 2013, 11:03:14 PM
Quote from: The Larch on January 03, 2013, 10:48:02 PM

Pretty much, if you're interested in reunions, you're expected to sign up with the alumni organization. My high school has a massive alumni organization. Even before the internet, you could easily sign up with them, where anyone interested in being on the reunion committee could then get the necessary information to send out invitations and additional information. There was even a fund for paying for mailing supplies, decorations, etc. that came from alumni donations and dues.

Given that my graduating class had 499 in it, it would be a nightmare to try to do otherwise. The internet has helped tremendously. At the 10-year reunion, there was something like 200 that were considered "lost". For our 25th, there's only something like 50 or so considered "lost".

Well, that must be a reason why I haven't had a reunion, as we don't really have alumni organizations in schools over here, AFAIK at least not in public ones, I guess that private ones might.

I was only once in an informal reunion with the people from my primary school which managed to get something like 30 people out of 40, and it was only one guy who most of the work on his own. It helped that we weren't that many and that the group stayed together for a long time (we were roughly the same 40 guys in class for 8 years, so many families knew how to contact each other).

Eddie Teach

My high school is thousands of miles away, so not likely to go to any reunions anytime soon. Besides, most of my high school friends didn't graduate the same year as me.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Phillip V

It may be great for older people, but it is less of a "surprise" for the younger. Every twenty-something is now connected and updated daily through Facebook. We also "start life" later, ie career, family, college, etc., so many do not go to the reunion because they are not "ready" yet.

Since my parents still live in my hometown, I will attend a reunion if it is the same time that I am visiting family.

Yi mentioned old crushes, but many have not aged well, even in their 20's. :(

garbon

I voted nay, but I think I said somewhere that there are now 6 other people from my hometown now in New York (4 of whom I hadn't had any communication with since high school). Starting in the fall, we've now met up like once a month or so for drinks. Actually been fun which I wouldn't have thought.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

High school reunions are not really a thing in Poland, but if I was invited to one, I would go and be obnoxious.

Back in high school, I was a small town sexually repressed shy nerd with no fashion sense (I wore black turtlenecks...) so I would really like to go to shit on their "still living in my shitty town and having two kids" boring stories.