Ray Lewis to retire.

Started by Sophie Scholl, January 02, 2013, 04:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 04, 2013, 04:56:38 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 04, 2013, 02:07:06 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 04, 2013, 02:04:45 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 04, 2013, 09:04:56 AM
I think it is more a matter of realizing that defending the claim that someone who was involved in murdering two people is a great human being because he tackles well is a tough job.

That would be a silly claim to make.

I think it is possible to admire a person's professional sporting qualities - their dedication, commitment, discipline, leadership, and sportsmanship in their chosen profession and yet still find them not so admirable in terms of their character as a human being and citizen.

Of course - but in the case of Lewis, so much of the praise of him is about his leadership and supposed character, both on and off the field, about what a great man he is, etc., etc.

Which, as I stated in my very first post in this thread, makes me want to  :x
So as a side question, if you could for one brief glimmering moment divorce the murder from his history and simply look at what else he has done off the field, especially in the past decade, do you think he has been an admirable person?  You don't even need to include his ability to tackle, which you repeatedly have stated is the only reason people idolize him.  Simply look into his charity work, volunteer efforts, fund raising, and all of the other things he has done to benefit Baltimore as a community and the nation as a whole.

Of course - I am pretty sure I said way back at the beginning that if you ignore the fact that he was involved in stabbing two men to death, he was a pretty great guy.

I am just kind of  amazed that CAN be ignored by some people.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2013, 03:54:03 PM

Well ok I guess I should be more mindful and think...I don't know.  I have no real clue what happened 12 years ago and he was never even charged for anything
He was indicted on murder and assault charges.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned