News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

High School Reunion - Yay or Nay?

Started by merithyn, January 03, 2013, 02:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you go to your high school reunions?

Yep! They're fun!
No freaking way. I left that claptrap behind for a reason.
I've never been invited to one.
I didn't go to high school, but if I had, I would.
I didn't go to high school, but if I had, there's no way I'd go back.

merithyn

My 25th high school reunion is coming up this August. I have a couple of old friends who have asked me repeatedly to go, but I'm really not sure I want to bother. I can't imagine that the expense and overall pain-in-the-assness of it is worth it. At the same time, there are a few folks that I went to school with that I wouldn't mind meeting up with again.

Do you all go to your reunions? Why or why not?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Fuck those people.  I graduated for a reason, and the diploma was a distant second.

Barrister

I haven't, but when 25 comes up (in :o four years! :o) I'd go.  What the hell - I'm curious how people turned out.

And you might think "what is he worried about - he's a successful lawyer".  Well, I went to a pretty competitive Jesuit all-boys high school.  5 of my classmates (out of a graduating class of ~100) went to law school that I know of (so pretty sure there are more out there).  I'll hardly be the shining success in the room.

But really - what's the worst that could happen?  You have a boring evening and leave early.  Still worth it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

There are exactly two legitimate reasons to go to a reunion.  One, show off to your classmates how much better than them you are now.  Two, try to bang an old crush.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 03, 2013, 02:44:00 PM
There are exactly two legitimate reasons to go to a reunion.  One, show off to your classmates how much better than them you are now.  Two, try to bang an old crush.

Well I shan't be attending mine for the second reason. -_-

Zanza

I went to my 10th reunion. It's nice to meet the people and see how things worked out for them. It's also interesting to see who doesn't turn up and speculate about the reasons why.

Grey Fox

We finish high school too young so my 10 years was actually back when I was 26 years old so I didn't go. I might go to the next if they ever do one. It has to be in the actual school, I have no interest in meeting those people in a bar.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Fuck that noise.  Those people drove me mad.  I wasn't always this crazy.  I do miss Melody though. :blush:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

If I still lived nearby, I might consider attending just for the hell of it.  But no way in hell I'm going to burn vacation time to go to a high school reunion... so no, definitely not.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Never came up. A relative though went to her 70th.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Everyone I'm interested in seeing, I've seen.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

This thread just inspired me to send my old high school my contact info.  They had me listed as "lost".

Of course I fully expect to be hit up with fundraising requests, but whatever.  :)

Admiral Yi

Beeb, did it take anything special to get into your school?  Dad had to grease some palms, hypercompetitive entrance exam, etc?

MadImmortalMan

I would feel out of place in that crowd. It's a small-city rustbelt place where the primary economic activities are selling shit to welfare recipients. Wal-Mart, CVS (90% of the town is on prescription drugs for mental issues or the effects of rampant obesity), fast food, medical people working at full speed to sell people drugs and bill medicare, drug dealers running heroin, etc.

The average graduate of my high school is probably going to look at me like I'm trying to be all better than them just because of the way I dress.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 03, 2013, 03:43:59 PM
Beeb, did it take anything special to get into your school?  Dad had to grease some palms, hypercompetitive entrance exam, etc?

I came in late (Grade 11).  As such there were some empty spots to begin with (few kids switched to public school or were expelled).  As such no entrance exam.   From what I remember I had to go in and meet with them, show them my grade 10 marks (mostly As), pay the tuition and I was in.