Racial Healing and the beautiful South

Started by Lettow77, January 02, 2013, 05:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

A Southern regionalist party must grant massive concessions to the South's black population, which has been massively maligned both by yankee governmental policy & the prejudice of their fellow Southerners. Their wonderful and vibrant culture has been dealt frightful damage by the war on drugs and various paternalistic and oppressive policies.

To court our brothers and begin the RACIAL HEALING, the following must be done by any Southern nationalist party:

1) decriminalize drug use and do much to empty out the prisons. The massive prison apparatus must be cast as a horror of northern policy. By setting black Southerners free, white Southerners take a step toward their own liberty. (This will entail a surge in crime, for a time. The South has always been a violent section. Forgiveness and brotherhood should in time work better than the clearly failed policy of oppression. The damage of generations won't be undone in a day.)

2) Self-governance: Black communities deserve black oversight. Every effort should be made to give police more fixed posts, that they might become local fixtures. It is imperative that policemen are picked from the neighborhoods they serve wherever possible. (This may lead to a certain amount of corruption, but that is fine. Corruption and inefficiency are not the greatest evils.)

3) The confederate flag must be replaced for a more universal symbol. The argument over its "proper" meaning is largely academic; it is seen with hostility by too large a portion of the population it represents, and divisiveness is a disaster in a symbol of unity. Give Southerners a flag that they can all be proud of.

The greatest obstacle, of course, is racial attitudes, but Southerners have lived alongside each other for centuries now, and the dark specter of divisive racism is clearly receding. It may seem like a one-sided compromise, but in many ways it is white Southerners who hold all the cards, and have prosecuted the greatest crimes against their neighbors. Should the South manage this reconciliation, it will be generously rewarded; black and white southerners have never enjoyed the respect or good faith of the American government and yankee body public, but working in concert, could surely preserve the wonderful culture they both share, and be a powerful voice for the advancement of Southern interests.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Valmy

Quote from: Lettow77 on January 02, 2013, 05:48:02 PM
A Southern regionalist party must grant massive concessions to the South's black population, which has been massively maligned both by yankee governmental policy & the prejudice of their fellow Southerners. Their wonderful and vibrant culture has been dealt frightful damage by the war on drugs and various paternalistic and oppressive policies.

Um dude the South and the Southern politicians are formost among the War on Drugs' supporters.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Lettow77

I know.  They are wrong, though.  :)

Edit: This deserves expanding on. Southern politicians and the white southern populace support -lots- of policies that are divisive and damaging to the community. There is a strong contrarian tendency that leads to kneejerk policies to oppose what the north (and, yes, the black southern community) support. Much of the South's conservatism is of course genuine and deeply felt, but the black community is also rather strongly social conservative- if society would give it the opportunity to be so.

The absurd democrat/republican split between black and white Southerners is unhelpful. They should be voting for a unified Southern regionalist party that represents their enormous overlapping interests better than either of the other parties could.

Eddie Teach

Southern regionalism doesn't exist in great enough quantities to make a viable political party.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Lettow77

Yeah, I know. You'd need the sort of cohesion of identity and political consciousness that doesn't really exist. Since the culture is there, I imagine it could in the future (as it has in the past), but I am mostly just dreaming.

This is just my thoughts on what the South should do, not what it will do. I imagine we'll continue unhappily on as things presently are, but its worse off for both parties involved.

Josquius

policemen coming from the neighbourhoods they work in is the opposite of a good idea. it's such a bad idea its against official policy over here I believe.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on January 02, 2013, 07:30:18 PM
policemen coming from the neighbourhoods they work in is the opposite of a good idea.

Saves fuel consumption.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

They rose up in the same old way and we put them down in the same old way
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Does this mean that Lettuce is now experimenting with drugs?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

I abhor drugs, and absolutely would not. Keep in mind both of my parents were addicts, with one overdosing outright and the other -merely- dying broken down on an office floor with a body ravaged by the stuff.

While being in firm opposition to its use personally, the damage the prosecution of it has had on our poor black folks is easy to see.

Caliga

Quote from: Lettow77 on January 02, 2013, 05:48:02 PM
3) The confederate flag must be replaced for a more universal symbol. The argument over its "proper" meaning is largely academic; it is seen with hostility by too large a portion of the population it represents, and divisiveness is a disaster in a symbol of unity. Give Southerners a flag that they can all be proud of.
Like the American flag, for instance? :P
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Lettow77

A symbol for Southerners alone, of course  :P

Caliga

Why do you feel that this is necessary?  Serious question.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Lettow77

I feel I have something in common with black folks in the South, but not so much yankees up north. I think it is a separate culture.

History has always cast a long shadow on me, so I feel a duty as well. I am upset by how derelict I am from that duty; I am conscious of a need to serve the South, a transmitted duty from previous generations. (I did a writeup on transmitted duty that I don't believe was ever posted here..)

But also, I am in love with the South. It is home and it is what I am comfortable with; my associations with it are happy ones. 

(On the other hand, a lot of the sins in the world are sourced, however inaccurately, to the north, and the kneejerk reaction to northern things is a wary hostility.)