Racial Healing and the beautiful South

Started by Lettow77, January 02, 2013, 05:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

I wonder what course Lettow's life might have taken if he'd gotten laid semi-regularly and scored a job.

I worry about you Lettow sometimes. You ok?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Lettow77 on January 02, 2013, 09:06:04 PM
I feel I have something in common with black folks in the South, but not so much yankees up north. I think it is a separate culture.

You might, but I'm sure the average white Tennesseean has more in common with the average white Iowan than the average black Tennessean. Though none of these differences rise to the level of being different cultures.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Lettow77

Quote from: Legbiter on January 02, 2013, 09:13:02 PM
I wonder what course Lettow's life might have taken if he'd gotten laid semi-regularly and scored a job.

I worry about you Lettow sometimes. You ok?

You do know i've been in various relationships, right? If anything my sexuality was too precocious early on. I've since become shockingly prudish.
On the work count, well, fair is fair. I avoid and fear work, but i'll resign myself to it as soon as it becomes necessary, which is to say, the near future.

I'm very happy!  I worry a bit about the future, because its always uncertain, but my every day is pretty content. I am consistently striving to be more peaceful and pleasant to those around me, and to live a more calm life. I think I have things going better for me than the vast majority of languish, which seems to have a lot of disaffected, bitter and down people.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Legbiter

I could read that post two-ways. One, you've become an asexual weirdo shunning all human fellowship in order to properly channel the Deep South to realization in this world or in space.  :wacko:

Two, you're fine in body and spirit but the demon of laziness has caught up with you. I'd implore you to seek almost any means of employment, since a job is very much more than just a paycheck.

Combine your job with your persona while you seek greener pastures with drinking and wenching, while keeping an eye out for that Special One to hook up with. Vegetating via anime, The Deep South...etc is not healthy.

Lift heavy. Drink. Cultivate hobbies and always tease girls like a bratty younger sister.

Go in peace my son.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Lettow77

It could just be that i'm content and don't need substantial lifestyle change.  :)

I am not very obsessed with the South anymore. I don't think about it a whole lot- this thread's genesis was actually my roommate's musings.

I drink somewhat frequently, as a college student inevitably does. It is social- I do something fun with my roommate every day. We hang out with another friend and play boardgames, talk about our interests, and so on.

I -am- seeking employment, even if I don't buy into the protestant work ethic sort of thing that equate worth and goodness with an eight hour shift.

I have little to no interest in women at this time, but I am very sensible to the appeal of Japanese maidens- the fact that its so comparatively easy to find a history-obsessed girl there is really charming. I had a lovely lady read a book on Robert E. Lee just to talk to me about it; I am keeping my eye on her, but not with any sense of urgency, since there are so many others that can be readily reached for. I look forward to a strategic marriage that provides a clean house and regular home-cooked food.

In conclusion, I am not -quite- asexual, I am not shunning human fellowship, I am not obsessed with the South, I will indeed work, and I drink and have a variety of hobbies. (Or has it missed everyone's notice that I am very much into tea, poetry and literature?)

Somewhat long winded, but I wanted to put languish's misconceptions and misplaced concerns to rest. A better effort would be the seedy suicide prevention squad.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

garbon

Quote from: Lettow77 on January 02, 2013, 05:48:02 PM
2) Self-governance: Black communities deserve black oversight. Every effort should be made to give police more fixed posts, that they might become local fixtures. It is imperative that policemen are picked from the neighborhoods they serve wherever possible. (This may lead to a certain amount of corruption, but that is fine. Corruption and inefficiency are not the greatest evils.)

I've a better idea. Let's just continue having people of different races fuck until we're all a giant mish-mosh...and also own that we're mixed - so no one drop rules.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Quote from: garbon on January 02, 2013, 10:53:28 PM

I've a better idea. Let's just continue having people of different races fuck until we're all a giant mish-mosh...and also own that we're mixed - so no one drop rules.

It would never work.  Humans aren't the same race.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

I support the garbon plan.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2013, 12:02:49 AM

I support the garbon plan.

Me too.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

3) The confederate flag must be replaced for a more universal symbol. The argument over its "proper" meaning is largely academic; it is seen with hostility by too large a portion of the population it represents, and divisiveness is a disaster in a symbol of unity. Give Southerners a flag that they can all be proud of.

how about

?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on January 03, 2013, 02:01:55 AM

3) The confederate flag must be replaced for a more universal symbol. The argument over its "proper" meaning is largely academic; it is seen with hostility by too large a portion of the population it represents, and divisiveness is a disaster in a symbol of unity. Give Southerners a flag that they can all be proud of.

how about

[/img]

?

I ain't getting it, Vic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 03, 2013, 02:22:39 AM
Not enough stars on that flag.

It was good enough to burn georgia the last time round.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Honestly don't see the South as culturally unified or distinctive enough to merit being it's own country.  I mean cultural gap between Texas and South Carolina or Louisiana and Kentucky or Georgia and Maryland are really less then the cultural gap between Virginia and Pennsylvania or Florida and New York.  If we use the difference of culture between North and South as a the yard stick then the South should also be decided up in half a dozen different polities, and every other country broken up.  I mean Japan could probably divided up into at least 10 different countries if our threshhold for cultural distinctiveness is that low.  It could certainly divided up into several different states with much more strict definition of cultural distinctiveness.