The 2013 NFL Playoffs? PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS??? Morathread

Started by CountDeMoney, January 02, 2013, 08:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

CountDeMoney

QuotePOSITION:  Head Football Coach
SALARY RANGE:  Commensurate with experience

I'll do it for $40K.  VAT A BARGAIN!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on January 16, 2013, 02:12:36 PM
I think Reed is a free agent this offseason, so unless he's willing to take a home team discount, this is his last year as a Raven.  He could almost certainly get a more money on the free agent market from somebody trying to make a desperate push, but if the Ravens win it all this year, I agree that he's retiring (and maybe even if they don't...).  Cary Williams is going to be gone.  Paul Kruger is going to be gone, because no way is Baltimore going to pay him Suggs-like money.  Jacoby Jones has a big roster bonus coming his way, so his contract might be in danger.  Ellerbe will stay and so will Flacco, but this is going to be a brutal offseason.  Not as brutal as it will be for the Steelers though.

You're right; Ed's an UFA.  I think what happens to him depends on how the pre-season plays out.  I simply don't expect him to be back next season.  He has always been a strange bird, and I think he's tired of playing in pain the last three seasons. 

If history is any indicator, they would give Flacco the franchise tag for the season while they take the time to work out a long term deal;  they've done that for franchise players for years.  It's rubbed some players the wrong way before, I'm sure he wouldn't mind being paid the average of the top five at the position for a year while they work out a bigger contract.

Williams, Kruger, Ellerbe...a lot of starters and crucial role players are UFAs this off-season, including both Dickson and Pitta, Arthur Jones, Kemoeatu and McClellan.
http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/baltimore-ravens/

Jimmy Smith is flying dangerously close to Draft Bust, though.  He needs to stay healthy and in the starting line-up, neither of which he can do consistently.  Shame for a former #1 pick that had all the makings of a total shutdown corner.  Courtney Upshaw is going to be the future of that front seven, though.  You watch.  He's still developing, and they haven't even let him loose yet.

Watch the Ravens draft heavy on defense this year.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 16, 2013, 08:14:25 PM
QuotePOSITION:  Head Football Coach
SALARY RANGE:  Commensurate with experience

I'll do it for $40K.  VAT A BARGAIN!

I'll be the coach that pervs the cheerleaders.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Poor Jimmy Smith.  That said, he made a great special teams play on Saturday.  If only he could manage to not get torched any time anyone throws a double move on him.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe wind could be a factor in Sunday's AFC Championship game between the Ravens and New England Patriots, with gusts up to 30 mph possible at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass.

At game time, 6:30 p.m., the National Weather Service's Boston forecast office is calling for temperatures around freezing. A steady westerly breeze of about 15 mph, with stronger gusts, is expected to bring wind chills in the lower 20s, though.

Given that the field is oriented more or less north-south, the wind could at least have equal effects on kickers at both ends of the field. But it could still be a factor in passing, catching and kicking.

Ugh.  If this is true, you can forget the Flacco deep game.  If the air attack is grounded, the Patriots have the edge on the running games unless the Ravens refit OL can move some bodies for Rice and Pierce.

sbr

Colts OC Bruce Arians has accepted the Arizona Cardinals head coaching job.

Oops.

Neil

I wonder what his plan is for the total lack of anything resembling a quarterback?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

Quote from: Neil on January 17, 2013, 09:29:58 PM
I wonder what his plan is for the total lack of anything resembling a quarterback?

When your best bet is trying to keep Kevin Kolb healthy you are in a bad spot.  I have a feeling they will end up drafting Matt Barkley, which I don't think will work out well.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on January 17, 2013, 09:35:16 PM
I have a feeling they will end up drafting Matt Barkley, which I don't think will work out well.

Arizona and even KC have a hard-on for drafting a franchise quarterback, but he sure as hell isn't it. 

I don't think any of the QBs this year are worth a 1st draft pick this season, but there are several who could become starters for value in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Neil

Isn't there some 12-year old kid who dates a gold digger and wins national championships?  Is he not a good quarterback for the pros?

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on January 17, 2013, 10:10:21 PM
Isn't there some 12-year old kid who dates a gold digger and wins national championships?  Is he not a good quarterback for the pros?

No Alabama QB has been worth a crap since Joe Namath.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on January 17, 2013, 09:29:58 PM
Alex Smith?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point