News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Team Fortress 2

Started by FunkMonk, May 18, 2009, 06:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Because we need a thread for a game that just keeps on giving.

So the newest update in Valve's quest to continually reinvigorate an already thriving game community comes out on Thursday. The Sniper gets a couple of goodies and the Spy sneaks in with some gimmicks of his own.

http://www.teamfortress.com/spyupdate/
http://www.teamfortress.com/spyupdate/day01_english.htm

What I'm really interested in -mainly because I suck at getting enough achievements to bag the new weapons- is the new Payload Gladiator map mode, described anecdotally on a postcard on the Day 2 Update. Basically instead of one team having to push the cart to the point and one team trying to stop them, both teams now have payloads to deliver and have to constantly jostle playing offense and defense in what I'm sure will be quite a frantic little dance to the respective capture points.

Also, their new Meet the Spy vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWY7EkNVEQY
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DisturbedPervert

Snipers AND spies in the same update?  It's gonna be a great day to be a pyro.   :menace:

The spy video was great, the best one they've made so far.  I'd love to see a 10 or 20 minute short movie.

FunkMonk

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on May 18, 2009, 06:46:11 PM
Snipers AND spies in the same update?  It's gonna be a great day to be a pyro.   :menace:

The spy video was great, the best one they've made so far.  I'd love to see a 10 or 20 minute short movie.
Yeah, I imagine this weekend will be a good time to get some Pyro action. Might even get the second unlock out of it.

Josquius

Pffff.....and here I'm stuck with TFC.
I need a gaming PC :(
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Upgraded gun called the "Ambassador" will replace the Spy's revolver as an unlockable weapon. I never play Spy so I don't really care.
I am still awaiting the eventual Soldier update. It along with the Pyro are my two favorite classes. Memories of rocketjumping like a mofo on Warpath in TFC. :wub:

Scipio

Never gotten into this.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

I couldn't get back into it since when I tried to play it again a few months ago it took forever to load.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

Sucks for you guys.  :P

New unlock revealed for Sniper http://www.teamfortress.com/sniper_vs_spy/
QuoteJarate is a thrown jar that splashes upon impact. When splashed on enemies, they take 35% more damage for a period of time. Jumping in water will wash off Jarate. Jarate is also able to short out Spies' cloaking devices. When used on teammates, Jarate will extinguish any fire effects.

Double the amount of new stuff in this update, for obvious reasons. I suppose this means the next update won't be coming for awhile.  :(

HisMajestyBOB

I have TF2 now since I bought the Orange box, but I haven't played it yet. Anyone have any tips or advice before I start, so that I'm not a totally clueless n00b?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

FunkMonk

The Soldier seems to be the most newbie-friendly class. Rocket launcher as primary and shotgun secondary. Decently armored. You'll die a lot, but this is Team Fortress, so it's supposed to happen - Everyone dies a lot.

You could play Medic to learn the maps. Stick close to heavier classes like the Soldier or Heavy and heal them as they take damage. Just remember to right-click to activate the Uber for the Medic's Gun, which turns you and your target invincible for a short time. It's very handy against well-entrenched defenses with multiple sentry guns.

Once you get familiar enough with these classes then you'll probably have a good idea of what's required of the others. My favorite thing about this game is how chaotic the matches can be. If you're totally new it's okay to be overwhelmed. Just have fun while you're exploding people to bits and dying dozens of times.

Lastly, watch the videos that start before each map. It'll give you an overview of what the objective is for each one.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 20, 2009, 09:45:11 PM
Sucks for you guys.  :P

New unlock revealed for Sniper http://www.teamfortress.com/sniper_vs_spy/
QuoteJarate is a thrown jar that splashes upon impact. When splashed on enemies, they take 35% more damage for a period of time. Jumping in water will wash off Jarate. Jarate is also able to short out Spies' cloaking devices. When used on teammates, Jarate will extinguish any fire effects.

Double the amount of new stuff in this update, for obvious reasons. I suppose this means the next update won't be coming for awhile.  :(

I can't believe they didn't give him a boomerang.   :(

DisturbedPervert

In addition to FunkMonk's sound advice, the pyro is a pretty newbie friendly class, and my personal favorite.  W + mouse1 and try to sneak up behind them.  :thumbsup:

fhdz

Quote from: Scipio on May 20, 2009, 06:24:56 PM
Never gotten into this.

It's really a very good game.  It's one of the most well-balanced multiplayer shooters I've run across.
and the horse you rode in on

FunkMonk

Quote from: fahdiz on May 22, 2009, 11:23:57 AM
Quote from: Scipio on May 20, 2009, 06:24:56 PM
Never gotten into this.

It's really a very good game.  It's one of the most well-balanced multiplayer shooters I've run across.
Yep, and Valve continues to update the game with new maps and weapons every few months at no extra charge.

DisturbedPervert

This new method of getting weapons fucking sucks.  Sucks even more than the previous achievement based system.  The worst I've ever seen.  I'm just going to leave the game on idle for a day or two until I get all the new ones.