News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Team Fortress 2

Started by FunkMonk, May 18, 2009, 06:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on May 24, 2009, 10:24:43 PM
This new method of getting weapons fucking sucks.  Sucks even more than the previous achievement based system.  The worst I've ever seen.  I'm just going to leave the game on idle for a day or two until I get all the new ones.

I can't complain about the new system. I'm glad I'm getting these unlockable weapons when before I had no chance of getting all the achievements required to unlock them. I'm a pretty casual player who just jumps on whenever I feel like blowing shit up or feel the urge to grief some 16-year old clan crybabies who take the game way too seriously. Hearing them whine and call me a cheater when I flame half their team or annoy the fuck out of them as a Scout brings me joy like no other multiplayer game has.

For those not in the know, the new weapon unlock system essentially unlocks a random weapon at a random time. Achievement grinding is unnecessary, though still possible. I prefer it to the original method of performing dozens of esoteric class achievements that I don't have the patience for.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DisturbedPervert

If they at least tied the randomness to what class you were playing, it would be bearable.  But as it is, if your favorite class is spy for example, you could play the game for dozens of hours and NEVER get the unlocks for your class, while someone playing scout gets them randomly in five minutes.  It's fucked up, the game is almost telling you what classes you should be playing. 

And grinding is still possible, and even more necessary than before if you want unlocks for a certain class rather than the random ones Valve throws at you in normal play.  I left TF2 on an achievement_idle server overnight and I managed to get two spy unlocks while sleeping.

What they need to do is have the achievements in addition to the random drops.  Everyone I've talked to in game is pissed off about this.

DisturbedPervert

Valve abandoned using only random unlocks.  Now you can get new weapons either randomly or by completing the achievements.  :thumbsup:

They still should just give them to you without any of this hassle though.