And we're back!

Main Menu

The meaning of "Christmas"

Started by merithyn, December 20, 2012, 10:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on December 21, 2012, 09:52:34 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 20, 2012, 11:56:25 PM
As opposed to a religous movement founded by an unrepentant German anti-Semite?

Meh, who wasn't back then.

Jews.  Many Popes and Bishops who protected Jews.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on December 21, 2012, 03:51:48 PM

Don't forget the French.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Yet who put swastikas in their cathedrals?  Huh?  HUH??!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Scipio

Next year at Christmas, I'm going to say 'Destroy America!' in response to Merry Christmas.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on December 21, 2012, 04:11:30 PM

Yet who put swastikas in their cathedrals?  Huh?  HUH??!

Masons.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Scipio on December 21, 2012, 07:51:14 PM
Next year at Christmas, I'm going to say 'Destroy America!' in response to Merry Christmas.

You mean you don't go around wishing people Merry Christmas for two weeks afterward?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: merithyn on December 20, 2012, 11:00:54 AM
No, no. If anything, it's more of a different justification for not saying/celebrating "Christmas". I find it disrespectful to Christianity to say that I am doing so when I'm really not, but that doesn't seem to be how Christians take it.
I think this always seems very American. Both the 'war on Christmas' hyperventilating and the 'happy holidays' angle. Over here I've never really seen it come up as an issue.  Also I know a few Muslims, Jews, agnostics and atheists who were looking forward to their Christmas dinners like any 'Christian'. That's been universalised in the UK, so've Santa hats etc.

I don't see 'merry Christmas' as a remotely religious statement. 'Happy Easter' is. We don't have many religiously inspired national holidays but if, say, Pentecost was a holiday I think there'd be a similar issue.
Let's bomb Russia!