News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"Irresistible" worker fired in Iowa

Started by merithyn, December 23, 2012, 07:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: Martinus on December 23, 2012, 01:30:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 23, 2012, 01:14:25 PMSo I guess he just had to divorce his wife or shut down his business?  Man no wonder nobody gets hired in Europe.

His marital problems have no bearing on the assessment of the contract between him and his employee - terminating it for reasons not connected with her work performance would be illegal here.

If he really wanted he could have reached a settlement with the employee so she left on her own.

Incidentally, this is being reported all over Europe as one of the "Americans are stupid" stories. I haven't seen a single comment supporting the judgement.

Very few people here work under a contract.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on December 23, 2012, 10:46:57 AM
You know, if he didn't fuck her for ten years, that sounds like the definition of "resistable."

That's what I was thinking.  Maybe she was really fat 10 years ago.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

Quote from: Ideologue on December 23, 2012, 01:37:20 PM
Iowa's an at-will employment state.  He could have fired her for wearing blue. 

See that's what I don't get. If he can fire her for any random thing unrelated to her performance, why isn't he allowed to fire her for being a woman as well? It doesn't make any sense.

PDH

Because they have to pretend to be fair.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Just make something up. I am distressed at my fellow business owners and their lack of imagination in terminating employees.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on December 23, 2012, 03:44:43 PM
See that's what I don't get. If he can fire her for any random thing unrelated to her performance, why isn't he allowed to fire her for being a woman as well? It doesn't make any sense.

Johnson's civil rights legislation and, later, the Americans with Disabilities Act.  There are certain "protected classes" that you're not allowed to discriminate against.  Women are a protected class.  Hotties is not a protected class.

Admiral Yi

Come to think of it, fugliness is probably a protected class.  Airlines used to hire only hotties as stewardesses until that fat cow Bella Abzug said they had to hire fugs too.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2012, 04:17:26 PM
Come to think of it, fugliness is probably a protected class.  Airlines used to hire only hotties as stewardesses until that fat cow Bella Abzug said they had to hire fugs too.

And guys.  Was on a Southwest flight with a dude attendant that had so much fabulous glitter, I thought we were flying straight to Pride Day.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 23, 2012, 04:05:53 PM
Just make something up. I am distressed at my fellow business owners and their lack of imagination in terminating employees.

I've always given people good reasons.  The paint thing was my favorite.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

I'm broadly with Marti and Iorm on this one, I don't like 'protected classes' or 'at will' laws. In the UK we don't have 'protected classes' but 'protected characteristics' which include age, gender, beliefs, race and so on.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 23, 2012, 05:12:28 PM
I'm broadly with Marti and Iorm on this one, I don't like 'protected classes' or 'at will' laws. In the UK we don't have 'protected classes' but 'protected characteristics' which include age, gender, beliefs, race and so on.

Not real clear what the difference between that and a "protected class" is.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Looking around the world, the only alternative to at will laws seems to be once you hire a guy, he's yours for life.

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 23, 2012, 05:15:47 PM

Yeah, that sounds like it might be mostly a difference in terminology.

Sheilbh

Quote from: dps on December 23, 2012, 05:22:35 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 23, 2012, 05:15:47 PM

Yeah, that sounds like it might be mostly a difference in terminology.
Yi said women were a protected class. In the UK gender is a protected characteristic. It's illegal to discriminate against people on the basis of their gender so it covers women, men and people undergoing gender reassignment.

QuoteLooking around the world, the only alternative to at will laws seems to be once you hire a guy, he's yours for life.
Not really :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!