The Greatness That Was Once Britain - Something For Cal.

Started by mongers, December 19, 2012, 10:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Gups on December 19, 2012, 01:13:17 PM
No idea what a turnover is but here's a typical beef pie

Interesting, but a distant second to the firepower of a fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL chicken pot pie.

Although, I will grant you people a nod to shepherd's pies, when they're done right.

Admiral Yi

Seedy and I both had Shepherd's Pie on our first date.  Actually I think the whole table had Shepherd's Pie.

But it's not a pie.

CountDeMoney

True, it's more like a casserole.  Most restaurants make them in a lasagna dish, and serve slices accordingly.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on December 19, 2012, 12:59:53 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2012, 12:26:27 PM
Are these the turnover-style of meat pies or the regular-looking ones?  Seems like every culture (save for maybe the US) has their own slight variation on the meat pie turnover.

I can't think of a Ukrainian meat pie turnover.  There's the ubiquitous pyrogy of course, but I've never heard of a meat-filled pyrogy.

Meat-filled pyrogi is the most common. And then there is kulebyaka which is like a large calzone-style pie filled with meat.

crazy canuck

In fairness to BB, the Ukes who settled the praires didnt have access to much meat and so their diet adapted accordingly - Potato based perogi ftw!

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Here it is, Argie-style.  I could swear I've seen similar-looking Brit meat pies.  Anyway, Argies take theirs very seriously.  Each province has its own specialty, and the crimp or pattern in the pastry fold tells you what kind it is (beef, ham/cheese, chicken, etc.)

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2012, 04:50:28 PM

Here it is, Argie-style.  I could swear I've seen similar-looking Brit meat pies.  Anyway, Argies take theirs very seriously.  Each province has its own specialty, and the crimp or pattern in the pastry fold tells you what kind it is (beef, ham/cheese, chicken, etc.)

Those are called Cornish pasties over here or just a pasty for other variants/ more generic items.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Those Argie hot pockets look like they would blow up in your hand like a cluster bomb.

Josquius

Oh man I'm so looking forward to getting home and having a meat pie. Steak and ale pie ftw.
Here you can sometimes find them along with faux-fish and chips...but they put ketchup on them!?!?! :ultra:

Anyway, that link is awesome.

QuoteMr. Strachey

Anyone living in a rural area may have the benefit of any available rural pie scheme. The latest figures I have show that 1,551,500 packed meals containing pies or other meat products were served during February and March, 1947, by 3,827 pie centres covering 6,011 villages and adjoining areas.

§ Mr. Joynson-Hicks

Is the right hon. Gentleman unable to say how many people are entitled to these pies? Because, so far as I can gather from his 25 answer, it worked out at approximately one pie per day per village—not a very big ration.

§ Mr. Strachey

Anyone in the rural areas is entitled to buy a pie.

§ Mr. Skeffington-Lodge

May we know the difference between agricultural meat pies and ordinary meat pies? Are the first kind for vegetarians only?

§ Mr. Strachey

It is a question of the area and not the pie.

:lol:

ah for the days when parliament got things done....
██████
██████
██████

KRonn

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on December 19, 2012, 04:42:29 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 19, 2012, 01:08:41 PM
I've had meat-filled pyrogi from the Polish grocery store in Chicago. :)

Sacrilege! :ultra:

Dude, meat-filled pierogi are a classic. Although potato or cheese ones are the most common as they are also cheapest.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on December 20, 2012, 06:30:18 AM
Dude, meat-filled pierogi are a classic. Although potato or cheese ones are the most common as they are also cheapest.

Isn't that the easiest determination of economic class over there, anyway?  Whether someone can afford a meat-filled pierogi?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 20, 2012, 06:32:42 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 20, 2012, 06:30:18 AM

Isn't that the easiest determination of economic class over there, anyway?  Whether someone can afford a meat-filled pierogi?

Pretty much, yeah. Pierogi started as a peasant dish (filled with cheese or potatos) but later (18th century or so) the nobility and the bourgeoisie acquired taste for them and started to make them with meat, salmon, fruit and the like.