The Greatness That Was Once Britain - Something For Cal.

Started by mongers, December 19, 2012, 10:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2012, 01:18:42 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 20, 2012, 10:34:35 AM
Essentially, any national dish that does not involve cooking a large slab of cow or pig comes originally from the poor cooking something deemed inedible or cheap and making an art form out of it - any seafood or pasta are great examples.

On this, Marti is wise. :yes:

A vast overstatement.  Most hunted animals are not going to fall in this category.  Cheese and bread are examples of food which is neither distinctly peasant nor aristocratic originally.

OttoVonBismarck

I always knew a lot of French cuisine that is famous came out of peasant innovations, but then you've also got a good mixture of well known upper class stuff too. I guess my point was with Poland the first cuisine that comes to mind is peasant food, I don't think that is true of Italian or French cuisine.

mongers

Thread has reminded me one of the things I need to get in is a decent pork pie.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 20, 2012, 02:03:54 PM
I guess my point was with Poland the first cuisine that comes to mind is peasant food, I don't think that is true of Italian or French cuisine.

In relation to Italian cooking, you cant get much more basic then olive oil, bread, pasta and tomatoes.  Granted they do some wonderful things with those basic ingredients.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 20, 2012, 02:53:01 PM
I guess my point was with Poland the first cuisine that comes to mind is peasant food, I don't think that is true of Italian or French cuisine.

In relation to Italian cooking, you cant get much more basic then olive oil, bread, pasta and tomatoes.  Granted they do some wonderful things with those basic ingredients.

For Brits that would traditionally be lard, wheat, mutton, potatoes and carrots.   :hmm:

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2012, 02:00:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2012, 01:18:42 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 20, 2012, 10:34:35 AM
Essentially, any national dish that does not involve cooking a large slab of cow or pig comes originally from the poor cooking something deemed inedible or cheap and making an art form out of it - any seafood or pasta are great examples.

On this, Marti is wise. :yes:

A vast overstatement.  Most hunted animals are not going to fall in this category.  Cheese and bread are examples of food which is neither distinctly peasant nor aristocratic originally.

There are many types of bread though and a white wheaten loaf was aristocratic while impoverished peasants ate black bread with many different grades of bread for the ranks in between. We have records of the food allowances given to people at the medieval English court, the bread an individual received was graded like pay and perks are in a modern corporation. Similarly cheese was regarded as an inferior substitute for meat. The forest and other laws in England also prevented the overwhelming majority of people from hunting.

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on December 20, 2012, 02:57:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 20, 2012, 02:53:01 PM

For Brits that would traditionally be lard, wheat, mutton, potatoes and carrots.   :hmm:

Goes a long way to explain why nobody raves about traditional British foods.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

mongers

Had quite a nice melton mowbray pie today, not the one I wanted, as there seems to be a buying frenzy at the moment for them. 

Oh and for Neil, I've found a model kit of HMS Warspite, shall I badly build it over Xmas and video it sinking in the river ?   :D

Neil

Warspite doesn't sink.  It grounds itself to avoid getting scrapped.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

mongers

Scipio

Quote from: Barrister on December 19, 2012, 12:59:53 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2012, 12:26:27 PM
Are these the turnover-style of meat pies or the regular-looking ones?  Seems like every culture (save for maybe the US) has their own slight variation on the meat pie turnover.

I can't think of a Ukrainian meat pie turnover.  There's the ubiquitous pyrogy of course, but I've never heard of a meat-filled pyrogy.
That's because you're a fake Uke.

There are two kinds of pies: cabbage and meat.  Either baked or fried, depending on where in the Rodina you come from.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Sheilbh

I always knew a lot of French cuisine that is famous came out of peasant innovations, but then you've also got a good mixture of well known upper class stuff too. I guess my point was with Poland the first cuisine that comes to mind is peasant food, I don't think that is true of Italian or French cuisine.
It is true of the French and Italians too. Haute cuisine I think is more about techniques but the dishes and style seems to change according to fashion. Most of the enduring classics come from the peasants, the farms and then, especially in France, the small middle class restaurants - even if they've since been reinterpreted.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Scipio on December 22, 2012, 11:45:07 PM
That's because you're a fake Uke.

If being a real Uke requires one to actually live in the Ukraine I think he is coming out ahead here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Britian is to the history of cuisine roughly what Yeman is to the history of aeronautics.