The Greatness That Was Once Britain - Something For Cal.

Started by mongers, December 19, 2012, 10:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

During the War a scheme was set up to help the rural agricultural workers and it continued for a few years after during the ongoing rationing, gentlemen I give you:

The Rural Pie Scheme -
http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1947/dec/01/meat-pies

It was mentioned on a documentary the other day, but I haven't found much about it other than the above reference, but what a brilliant scheme, handing out pies to those on farms/in villages to help them with the heavy workload and obviously the answer has to be pies! :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

This is so not what I was expecting from the thread title.  :(

:P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on December 19, 2012, 10:28:54 AM
This is so not what I was expecting from the thread title.  :(

:P

I don't know, getting your hands on a nice warm pie or on a nice pair, that's some dilemma for Cal.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Richard Hakluyt

There was also concern about beer quality for steelworkers in South Durham :

"    44. Mr. David Jones

asked the Minister of Food whether he has considered the representations from the steel workers employed by the South Durham Steel and Iron Company; and what action he proposes to take to remedy this grievance.

§ Mr. Strachey

I have considered the letter sent to me by my hon. Friend, but I regret that I am unable to give these 22 workers extra rations in their homes. They can, of course, make full use of the canteen facilities which are available, and I will consult with them on how best to adapt their canteens to their needs.

§ Mr. D. Jones

Would my hon. Friend consider that some of these workers are unable to make use of the existing canteen facilities, because they cannot leave their jobs, and is he aware that that is a general complaint?

§ Mr. Strachey

I appreciate that point, and it is exactly to adapting the canteen facilities to the needs of these particular men that we are now addressing our efforts, and we think it is quite possible.

§ Mr. Chetwynd

Would the Minister bear in mind the necessity of maintaining the standard of beer for these workers."

:cheers:

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1947/dec/01/steel-workers-durham-rations

derspiess

Are these the turnover-style of meat pies or the regular-looking ones?  Seems like every culture (save for maybe the US) has their own slight variation on the meat pie turnover.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2012, 12:26:27 PM
Are these the turnover-style of meat pies or the regular-looking ones?  Seems like every culture (save for maybe the US) has their own slight variation on the meat pie turnover.

I can't think of a Ukrainian meat pie turnover.  There's the ubiquitous pyrogy of course, but I've never heard of a meat-filled pyrogy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on December 19, 2012, 12:59:53 PM
I can't think of a Ukrainian meat pie turnover.  There's the ubiquitous pyrogy of course, but I've never heard of a meat-filled pyrogy.

Googling suggests meat-filled pyrogy is pretty common.

merithyn

I've had meat-filled pyrogi from the Polish grocery store in Chicago. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on December 19, 2012, 12:59:53 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2012, 12:26:27 PM

Okay, then that's another one for the list of those without :D

Here's a run-down of countries that have them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empanada
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Gups

No idea what a turnover is but here's a typical beef pie

Caliga

I hate to break it to you people but Swiss meat pies are better. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on December 19, 2012, 01:30:33 PM
I hate to break it to you people but Swiss meat pies are better. :(

Considering those are but a poor imitation of superior French Meat Pies that is a bitter pill to swallow.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Is this the basis for Cut Me Own Throat Dibbler's meat pies?
PDH!