Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Sounds like somebody's about to get...

*puts on sunglasses*

a severance. :menace:  :cool:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

American jihadi booted out of Somali branch of al Qaeda

By Larry Shaughnessy

It turns out al Qaeda has the same problem as ordinary companies with employees who spout off on the Internet, making their bosses look bad.

Al-Shabaab, the Somali branch of al Qaeda, booted Abu Mansour al-Amriki out of the group after he posted video messages contrary to the terrorist organization's teachings.

Al-Amriki, who was born Omar Hammami in a suburb of Mobile, Alabama, had become a highly visible member of the group that once dominated central and southern Somalia.

For a time, al-Amriki was a key recruiter for the group, attracting Americans of Somali heritage to the country to fight for the terrorist group.

But things changed in March when al-Amriki posted a video saying he felt like he was at risk. "I feel that my life may be endangered by Harakat Shabaab al-Mujahideen due to some differences that occurred between us regarding matters of the sharia and matters of strategy."

Then in October, he posted another video, calling on jihadi leaders to intervene and ease problems between Somali and foreign terrorist fighters.

In response, the press office of al-Shabaab, released a statement Monday calling al-Amriki's videos "childish petulance."

The statement said he is no longer a member of the group and that its goals will not be derailed by the "the superficial allegations, frivolous ramblings and whimsical desires of those who wish to enhance their image at the price of Jihad and the Mujahideen."

It's not clear what will happen to al-Amriki, or Hammami, depending on what name he'll now use, but it's unlikely he'll return to the United States because he's been indicted in federal court on terrorism charges.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

AnchorClanker

:ph34r:  This was a long time coming.  I was wondering when it would become official.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

AnchorClanker

al-Shabaab has two wings - the 'nationalist' wing and the 'internationalist' wing (sound familiar?)

The Somalis who want to focus on toppling the government are not thrilled with AQ and the foreign fighters coming in and interfering with what they regard as Priority #1...

The AQ-aligned wing is less concerned with handing al-Shabaab total control in Somalia (once secure in their country, what is the motivation to dance ((or pretend to dance)) to AQ's tune?  The FFs also wish to use Somalia as a base of operations to strike external targets, something the 'nationalists' think is a waste of resources.

Hammami (who is of Syrian-American persuasion) is not a Somali and is not trusted by the Somalis. 

Nobody likes pushy outsiders coming to 'help' and then overplay their hand.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Admiral Yi

It's always so sad to read about people not getting along.  Why can't these guys just sit down and talk about their differences?  :(

AnchorClanker

Also, to clarify - it's probably better to word this as "American jihadi gets fired by Al-Shabaab" - it's more exact... as AQ and AS are not exact analogues, as I mentioned above.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2012, 12:35:44 PM
It's always so sad to read about people not getting along.  Why can't these guys just sit down and talk about their differences?  :(

They have been.  You know how well that works, both here and there.
I'm glad that there's internal problems - if they're fighting each other, so much the better.

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

Quote"I feel that my life may be endangered by Harakat Shabaab al-Mujahideen due to some differences that occurred between us regarding matters of the sharia and matters of strategy."

His ass needs to worry more about a Global Hawk than getting booted to increase shareholder value.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2012, 12:40:07 PM
Quote"I feel that my life may be endangered by Harakat Shabaab al-Mujahideen due to some differences that occurred between us regarding matters of the sharia and matters of strategy."

His ass needs to worry more about a Global Hawk than getting booted to increase shareholder value.

It's better that he gets drilled by Somalis - he's gone with no blood on our hands.

Caliga

Quote from: AnchorClanker on December 18, 2012, 12:36:21 PM
Also, to clarify - it's probably better to word this as "American jihadi gets fired by Al-Shabaab" - it's more exact... as AQ and AS are not exact analogues, as I mentioned above.
Not sensational enough. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

AnchorClanker

CountDeMoney

Quote from: AnchorClanker on December 18, 2012, 12:42:38 PM
It's better that he gets drilled by Somalis - he's gone with no blood on our hands.

No it's not.  Somali scores don't show on our leaderboard.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2012, 12:47:13 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on December 18, 2012, 12:42:38 PM

No it's not.  Somali scores don't show on our leaderboard.

The result is the same.  We don't need the drama involved with the US offing a US person, jihadi or not.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: AnchorClanker on December 18, 2012, 12:51:07 PM
The result is the same.  We don't need the drama involved with the US offing a US person, jihadi or not.

Oh fuck, don't tell me you too?  We're all stocked up on ZOMG DOO PROCESS weenies here as it is.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Caliga on December 18, 2012, 12:44:14 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on December 18, 2012, 12:36:21 PM
Not sensational enough. :sleep:

Glad to see that accuracy matters.   :P