News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So, about the Hobbit Movie

Started by Faeelin, December 16, 2012, 09:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

There's nothing wrong with 'ethnically cleansing' evil.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on December 16, 2012, 09:25:47 PM

Or polacks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 16, 2012, 09:28:55 PM
Quote from: Neil on December 16, 2012, 09:25:47 PM

Or polacks.
Hans Frank failed to save us from Martinus. :(
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 16, 2012, 05:42:30 PM
If Sauron had gassed six million Dwarves, would we still be having this argument?

Well, hitler did and the only guys to fight to the death were the ones who knew they were going to be executed after the war. The fundamental problem of nazism was it's inability to find good help, which Lex Luthor and the Joker manage easily.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: PDH on December 16, 2012, 05:42:41 PM
Dwarves in the Silmarillion, for example, are scheming little backstabbers because the elves portray them this way.
As I'm rereading the book for the... 6th or 7th time, I'd like to clarify that the only dwarves who get a bad rap are the "petty-dwarves", aka Mîm and his surviving son, who betray Túrin's company.  The rest of the dwarves generally come off in a positive or at least neutral light in terms of the story, which is primarily the story of the Noldor and their struggles in the main body of the book.  The dwarves trade with the elves and help them on occasion against Morgoth, establishing close relations with a few different communities of the Noldor in particular due to their mutual love of crafting fine and wondrous things.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Agelastus

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on December 17, 2012, 04:46:55 AM
Quote from: PDH on December 16, 2012, 05:42:41 PM
Dwarves in the Silmarillion, for example, are scheming little backstabbers because the elves portray them this way.
As I'm rereading the book for the... 6th or 7th time, I'd like to clarify that the only dwarves who get a bad rap are the "petty-dwarves", aka Mîm and his surviving son, who betray Túrin's company.  The rest of the dwarves generally come off in a positive or at least neutral light in terms of the story, which is primarily the story of the Noldor and their struggles in the main body of the book.  The dwarves trade with the elves and help them on occasion against Morgoth, establishing close relations with a few different communities of the Noldor in particular due to their mutual love of crafting fine and wondrous things.

Was it the Dwarven city of Nogrod or the Dwarven city of Belegost that sent the army that sacked Menegroth; I forget?

As to the Hobbit (movie) I haven't seen it; as to the Hobbit (setting) what's this stuff about the Dwarves voluntarily quitting Moria/Khazad-Dum? They were driven out when the Balrog killed "Durin-the-high-number-I've-forgotten-and-cannot-be-bothered-to-look-up." That's why the Balrog is known as "Durin's Bane" to the Dwarves.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."