And we're back!

Main Menu

Fogh for NATO?

Started by bogh, March 10, 2009, 04:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on April 06, 2009, 11:30:49 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 06, 2009, 11:24:32 AM
Apparently before it was ROJ TV it was banned from operating in the UK, France and Germany for a combination of links to a terrorist organisation and incitement to violence.  Though it was a controversial decision in the UK it apparently broadcast inflammatory statements designed to incite violence in Turkey and elsewhere so it was deemed to be breaking its license, and the law.

so what about Al-Jazeera broadcasting Al-Qaeda statements?

a better example is probably a number of arab-language newspapers working from London.

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 06, 2009, 12:59:39 PM
They operate from Qatar, not a NATO country.  I believe the US, the Saudis and just about everyone else has put pressure on the Qataris to more strictly control Al-Jazeera in Arabic (its English language broadcasts are of a different tone entirely) and I believe there's been some success there.  Also this station is alleged to have very close links to a terrorist group, they've been called that groups mouthpiece before.  I don't think even in their worst moments Al-Jazeera could be accuse of that.
Point taken for satellite, but I can get it via cable if I sign up for the news package.

QuoteI take your point, though.  There is a thin line between broadcasting news - name a single news broadcaster in the world that doesn't show Al-Qaeda statements - and inciting violence.  I suppose context is everything and this Kurdish station has been found to be on the inciting side in four countries.  That doesn't mean it is but it does make me a bit more suspicious that this is just some nefarious Turkish plot to muzzle peace-loving Kurds.

Well, I think there's a difference between reporting that a new video has been released, then show a few images with a voice over giving the gist of the statement, or showing it full length without commentary.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 06, 2009, 01:29:54 PM
a better example is probably a number of arab-language newspapers working from London.
I think you're right.  I think, generally speaking, if they incite violence against the UK or our allies they should be shut down and that is the law in this country. 

But, assuming the things French, British, Belgian and German courts believed were true, why should that station be tolerated?  Would we allow Turkey much lee-way if they allowed an Islamist TV station that encouraged violence in, say, France or the UK, or Denmark, to be broadcast into those countries from Istanbul?

I mean the only reason I can think is that, perhaps, the Danes have a different opinion on Kurdish paramilitaries?
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on April 06, 2009, 01:53:28 PMWell, I think there's a difference between reporting that a new video has been released, then show a few images with a voice over giving the gist of the statement, or showing it full length without commentary.
Okay, what about the Guardian that prints Osama Bin Laden's letters in full and without commentary?

I mean I have to say that maybe they have a force in Arabic they lack in English.  Reading them they are rambling, barely coherent and vaguely ridiculous sounding.  But is that news or potential incitement given that he's calling for the murder of British troops in Iraq and Westerners, apostates, heretics, blasphemers the world over?  I think there's a thin line, which it's difficult for courts and press regulators to define, between incitement and reporting.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

I think the best example would be an IRA or ETA radio operating out of, say, France.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 06, 2009, 04:13:29 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 06, 2009, 01:29:54 PM
I think you're right.  I think, generally speaking, if they incite violence against the UK or our allies they should be shut down and that is the law in this country. 

But, assuming the things French, British, Belgian and German courts believed were true, why should that station be tolerated?  Would we allow Turkey much lee-way if they allowed an Islamist TV station that encouraged violence in, say, France or the UK, or Denmark, to be broadcast into those countries from Istanbul?

I mean the only reason I can think is that, perhaps, the Danes have a different opinion on Kurdish paramilitaries?
I'm thinking that the earlier courts made their decision before the capture of Ocalan (sp?) when the PKK and especially Turkey were waging brutal war on each other. After his capture and with a number of reforms violence subsided significantly iirc. Which could be the reason why by the time they arrived in Denmark there wasn't any reason anymore to deny them a broadcasting-permit.

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on April 06, 2009, 04:23:41 PM
ETA radio operating out of, say, France.

:lol:

That'd be like Rote Armee Fraktion having a radio station in Berlin, you dolt!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 07, 2009, 12:50:37 AM
I'm thinking that the earlier courts made their decision before the capture of Ocalan (sp?) when the PKK and especially Turkey were waging brutal war on each other. After his capture and with a number of reforms violence subsided significantly iirc. Which could be the reason why by the time they arrived in Denmark there wasn't any reason anymore to deny them a broadcasting-permit.
I believe that's the case for the UK but not France, Germany or Belgium.

Why does the relative quiesence of a terrorist organisation change the legitimacy of it having a supportive TV station inciting violence on its behalf?

Reading about it by the way I think the violence in other countries bit the British court mentioned is an inter-Kurdish think.  The PKK (or whosever) had ROJ TV and the DPK (or PKK) had a TV station based in a bit of Iraq they controlled.  It looks like they were, as often happens, broadcasting and inciting against each other as much as anyone else.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on April 07, 2009, 12:53:19 AM

There's Basques in France?!  :o
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Fuck Turkey and the horse it rode in on.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on April 07, 2009, 12:08:37 PM

They're used to make pâté :mmm:

Pâté is Basques! :o
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

After Obama urged EU to accept Turkey's application for membership the head of Austria's right-wing populist party FPÖ, H.-C. Strache, suggested the U.S. should accept Turkey as 51st state instead and also fork over the billions of cash in aid that Turkey would otherwise leech of EU. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Crazy_Ivan80

and thus endeth obamania

Alatriste

Quote from: derspiess on April 07, 2009, 12:08:37 PM
Quote from: Syt on April 07, 2009, 12:53:19 AM

Of course. Basque Nationalists even have pretty maps printed with a part of France included and their flag has an interesting little sign. Luckily French usually take it as a charming eccentricity...   

"Lapurdi", "Benafarroa" and "Zuberoa" are in France, and "Nafarroa" (better known as Navarre) is not in the Basque Country and the majority of their inhabitants/voters is quite openly against the whole Gross Basqueland idea...

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk