Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSL4594859

QuoteTurkey agreed to NATO chief after Obama pledges
Sat Apr 4, 2009 11:50am EDT

* PM says guarantees include Turkish deputy

* Turkish commanders to be present at NATO command

(Recasts with quotes, details)

ANKARA, April 4 (Reuters) - Turkey said on Saturday it had dropped its objections to Dane Anders Fogh Rasmussen becoming the next head of NATO after U.S. President Barack Obama offered promises that one of Rasmussen's deputies would be a Turk.

Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan, whose country had threatened to veto Rasmussen because of his handling of a 2006 crisis over cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad in a Danish newspaper, said Obama had also given Turkey guarantees that Turkish commanders would be present at the alliance's command.

"We explained our reservations on Rasmussen to Obama and he gave us guarantees on our reservations. Then our president accepted Rasmussen's candidacy," Erdogan told Turkish television.

"One of the issues is to have a Turk as one of his (Rasmussen) deputies and to have our commanders in NATO command," Erdogan told reporters in Ankara.

Turkey's objections to Rasmussen had threatened the image of unity NATO had sought to present at the military alliance's 60th anniversary summit.

It had also put the European Union-candidate at odds with France and Germany, which had strongly backed Rasmussen.

NATO is engaged in the biggest military operation in its history in Afghanistan, and Turkey, the only mainly Muslim member of the alliance, had said Rasmussen's appointment would exacerbate hostility towards the West in Muslim countries.

Rasmussen had defended the publication of the cartoons, which caused protests in the Muslim world, on the grounds of free speech and refused to apologise to Muslim countries.

But Turkey dropped its opposition at the last minute after Turkish President Abdullah Gul held private talks with Obama and Rasmussen, a Turkish official said.

"I acted responsibly as the prime minister of Turkey," Erdogan told Turkish television.

"One of the issues we put forward was how to improve relations by being more sensitive over the cartoon issue," Erdogan added. Rasmussen is scheduled to attend an international event on civilisations in Istanbul April 6-7.

Erdogan, who will host Obama on the same dates, said Turkey had brought up the issue with Obama of Kurdish ROJ TV, which has close links to the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), a separatist guerrilla group, but is allowed to broadcast from Denmark.

Erdogan has said he has asked Rasmussen to shut down the station many times, but that the Dane had ignored his pleas.

The PKK, which has fought for an ethnic Kurish homeland in Turkey since 1984, is listed as a terrorist group in the United States and in the European Union. (Writing by Ibon Villelabeitia; Editing by Noah Barkin)

News for Turkey: most Western countries don't shut down inconvenient media unless they break the law.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

No Turkey in the EU!
Thank you!

Mr.Penguin

QuoteErdogan, who will host Obama on the same dates, said Turkey had brought up the issue with Obama of Kurdish ROJ TV, which has close links to the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), a separatist guerrilla group, but is allowed to broadcast from Denmark.

Erdogan has said he has asked Rasmussen to shut down the station many times, but that the Dane had ignored his pleas.

The PKK, which has fought for an ethnic Kurish homeland in Turkey since 1984, is listed as a terrorist group in the United States and in the European Union.

How should Fogh Rasmussen be able to shot down ROJ TV when he is going to resign as primeminster tomorrow, besides its the courts who desides weather or not a TV station is allowed the send or not...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on April 04, 2009, 03:22:46 PM
QuoteErdogan, who will host Obama on the same dates, said Turkey had brought up the issue with Obama of Kurdish ROJ TV, which has close links to the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), a separatist guerrilla group, but is allowed to broadcast from Denmark.

The PKK, which has fought for an ethnic Kurish homeland in Turkey since 1984, is listed as a terrorist group in the United States and in the European Union.

How should Fogh Rasmussen be able to shot down ROJ TV when he is going to resign as primeminster tomorrow, besides its the courts who desides weather or not a TV station is allowed the send or not...

non-democratic states think that other states work the same as they do. In other words, they believe that we have the same kind of deep, or not so deep, state as they do

Liep

FOGH near death.

Fogh fell down stairs in his Turkey hotel and dislocated his shoulder. If he for once in his live has gotten drunk celebrating his recent job change I applaud him, but knowing him I think it's more likely he did it on purpose to get sympathy from the angry Turks as he tells them to fuck off once again.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Warspite

I'm shocked, shocked to find horse-trading and bargaining chips being played in international institutions.  :o
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Liep

Our new PM is on Twitter. Latest entry: "just packing my stuff from the financial ministry". I am intrigued!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: Liep on April 06, 2009, 10:01:52 AMOur new PM is on Twitter.

Nice. Most heads of government only manage to be a twit.

Also, why do people suddenly feel compelled to record every bit of their lives and share with the world? (Often liberal lefty types who are against surveillance.)

Just this morning I heard an office chick on the subway talk on the phone to a friend about her salary, bonus arrangements and her cost of living.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: Liep on April 04, 2009, 08:30:05 AM
Fuck Turkey. Fogh's in.
I think that would be a mistake.  And I think Turkey's raising pretty valid points.
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 06, 2009, 10:43:32 AM
Quote from: Liep on April 04, 2009, 08:30:05 AM
Fuck Turkey. Fogh's in.
I think that would be a mistake.  And I think Turkey's raising pretty valid points.

they may be valid points, but the way in which turkey raises them shows that at some level they don't get the concept of freedom (of speech / of press).

Sheilbh

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 06, 2009, 11:02:56 AMthey may be valid points, but the way in which turkey raises them shows that at some level they don't get the concept of freedom (of speech / of press).
Actually I think the Turkish constitution which causes historians to be arrested over lese-majeste when they mention that Ataturk once dressed as a woman to escape house arrest indicates that.  Or that the general suppression of the Kurdish language until the last 5 years would suggest it.  Or of course the nonsense of not being able to read certain Islamic poems or anything that 'insults the Republic'.  I mean I'm not sure where anyone got the idea that Turkey was a committed absolute fan of freedom of speech to begin with, in a way that most states aren't.

I'm not sure about this TV station but I'm not willing to discount the possibility that it is actually something that an ally shouldn't allow to be broadcasting into an allies territory.  Though I think that depends how close its links are with what is an armed paramilitary group on lists of terrorist groups the world over.  Britain may offer assylum to some unpleasant Chechens but we don't let them have a radio station, similarly any TV station associated with Islamist, as opposed to Marxist, militants would, I imagine, be shut down in most NATO countries.  But, as I say, that depends on how close the links are and what sort of things the TV station is broadcasting.  I'm not, however, convinced that we're talking Radio Free Kurdistan here.

Also I can't understand the reasoning for appointing someone who numerous allies consider aloof and arrogant into what is, fundamentally, a managerial and collegiate position.  Or, for that matter, given the nature of NATO's biggest mission someone from a country with a very poor (undeservedly so) reputation in Pakistan, especially.  That may be cowardice but I just don't see what the upside is if there are other, equally competent candidates in the running.  Which I believe there are.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Apparently before it was ROJ TV it was banned from operating in the UK, France and Germany for a combination of links to a terrorist organisation and incitement to violence.  Though it was a controversial decision in the UK it apparently broadcast inflammatory statements designed to incite violence in Turkey and elsewhere so it was deemed to be breaking its license, and the law.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Europeans have no right to get snitty about other people not respecting freedom of speech or the press.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 06, 2009, 11:24:32 AM
Apparently before it was ROJ TV it was banned from operating in the UK, France and Germany for a combination of links to a terrorist organisation and incitement to violence.  Though it was a controversial decision in the UK it apparently broadcast inflammatory statements designed to incite violence in Turkey and elsewhere so it was deemed to be breaking its license, and the law.

so what about Al-Jazeera broadcasting Al-Qaeda statements?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on April 06, 2009, 11:30:49 AM
so what about Al-Jazeera broadcasting Al-Qaeda statements?
They operate from Qatar, not a NATO country.  I believe the US, the Saudis and just about everyone else has put pressure on the Qataris to more strictly control Al-Jazeera in Arabic (its English language broadcasts are of a different tone entirely) and I believe there's been some success there.  Also this station is alleged to have very close links to a terrorist group, they've been called that groups mouthpiece before.  I don't think even in their worst moments Al-Jazeera could be accuse of that.

I take your point, though.  There is a thin line between broadcasting news - name a single news broadcaster in the world that doesn't show Al-Qaeda statements - and inciting violence.  I suppose context is everything and this Kurdish station has been found to be on the inciting side in four countries.  That doesn't mean it is but it does make me a bit more suspicious that this is just some nefarious Turkish plot to muzzle peace-loving Kurds. 
Let's bomb Russia!