News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elementary school shooting blame game

Started by merithyn, December 14, 2012, 05:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

'The New York Times published an analysis in 2000 of what was known about 102 people who had committed 100 rampage killings at schools, job sites and public places like malls.

Most had left a road map of red flags, plotting their attacks and accumulating weapons. In the 100 rampage killings reviewed, 54 of the killers had talked explicitly of when and where they would act, and against whom. In 34 of the cases, worried friends or family members had desperately sought help in advance, only to be rebuffed by the police, school officials or mental health workers.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/nyregion/sandy-hook-shooting-forces-re-examination-of-tough-questions.html

Razgovory

And how many fit the profile that don't commit any crime?  Millions?  Odd they mentioned the 1920's Michigan thing.  That was more anti-tax then anything.  Guy should be a hero for Libertarians.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Phillip V on December 15, 2012, 02:07:49 AM
'The New York Times published an analysis in 2000 of what was known about 102 people who had committed 100 rampage killings at schools, job sites and public places like malls.
In 34 of the cases, worried friends or family members had desperately sought help in advance, only to be rebuffed by the police, school officials or mental health workers.'

Choppy waters there.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

I love it when people blame the authorities for "ignoring the warning signs" in situations like this, yet bitch whenever authorities overreact and lock up some kid for posting on Facebook he is going to kill his teachers.

You can't have it both ways.

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2012, 12:57:04 AM
Says the guy who cosplays as a Roman Soldier.
I don't have time for that anymore. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 14, 2012, 09:30:28 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 14, 2012, 05:46:25 PM
There was a psychologist on NPR that was saying that the most effective way to end these kinds of tragedies isn't to ban guns, but rather for the media to refuse to agrandize the situations when they occur. Tell the story, but don't name the killer. Give no attention to him/her at all.

People don't do these things for the media attention.  Doesn't matter if it isn't covered, or the shooter makes the cover of Time magazine.

I agree.  I've always been skeptical of the theory that mass killings like this are motivated by a desire for media attention, especially in cases where the killer offs themselves and isn't around to actually see the attention.  Of course, the idea that it is done for media attention is going to be popular with the media, since it pumps up their already overinflated view of their own importance.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on December 14, 2012, 10:26:50 PM
It sounds to me from what I read that he was basically a weird nerd.  Solution:  Put all weird nerds in prison. :)

:D

More like: says the guy posting on Languish.

Lets face it - if it is open season on weird nerds, the lot of us would be in peril.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 14, 2012, 09:30:28 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 14, 2012, 05:46:25 PM
There was a psychologist on NPR that was saying that the most effective way to end these kinds of tragedies isn't to ban guns, but rather for the media to refuse to agrandize the situations when they occur. Tell the story, but don't name the killer. Give no attention to him/her at all.

People don't do these things for the media attention.  Doesn't matter if it isn't covered, or the shooter makes the cover of Time magazine.

Money is spot on . This guy killed his mom before he went to the school and killed the kids. There is something gravely wrong with a person who kills their own mother, this is someone who is simply no longer mentally sound and I doubt very seriously his actions after that are designed to get us talking about him post-mortem.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on December 15, 2012, 10:22:00 AM
Quote from: Caliga on December 14, 2012, 10:26:50 PM
It sounds to me from what I read that he was basically a weird nerd.  Solution:  Put all weird nerds in prison. :)

:D

More like: says the guy posting on Languish.

Lets face it - if it is open season on weird nerds, the lot of us would be in peril.  :P

:lol:

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2012, 02:14:51 AM
And how many fit the profile that don't commit any crime?  Millions?
Very good point.  Analyzing Type II error without analyzing Type I error is worse than useless.

Razgovory

I'm glad you agree with me, but I have no idea what you said.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2012, 02:42:44 PM
Is Wiki down or something?  Type II error is failing to stop a future mass murderer who showed red flags.  Type I error is stopping people with red flags who would have never amounted to anything.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Scipio on December 14, 2012, 09:30:08 PM
Connecticut: NRA Haven par excellence.

Or is it?

http://www.montereyherald.com/politics-national/2012/12/connecticut-gun-laws-among-the-toughest-in-the-u-s/

Connecticut is a lot more lenient than New York, Mass, or New Jersey.  Also in NY the counties can have more strict laws than the overall state laws - and the laws in the NY counties closest to Fairfield County - Westchester - are among the most strict in the entire state.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Legbiter

Why not just repeal the second amendment? Or modify it so that it only applies to flintlock muskets?

Give the US a sane gun policy where the military, the police, rural folk/hunters and shooting sports enthusiasts can get a gun but everyone else can't.

Just be like Canada.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on December 15, 2012, 04:42:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2012, 02:42:44 PM
Is Wiki down or something?  Type II error is failing to stop a future mass murderer who showed red flags.  Type I error is stopping people with red flags who would have never amounted to anything.

I don't get statistics.