News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elementary school shooting blame game

Started by merithyn, December 14, 2012, 05:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

There seems to be here such a code of silence in the media when dealing with suicides.

Though lately they've talked about a number crisis-related suicides.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on December 14, 2012, 05:46:25 PM
There was a psychologist on NPR that was saying that the most effective way to end these kinds of tragedies isn't to ban guns, but rather for the media to refuse to agrandize the situations when they occur. Tell the story, but don't name the killer. Give no attention to him/her at all.

People don't do these things for the media attention.  Doesn't matter if it isn't covered, or the shooter makes the cover of Time magazine.

Scipio

Especially not if this guy is an Aspie, as is alleged, or has some other autism-spectrum related disorder.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Sheilbh

Quote from: merithyn on December 14, 2012, 05:46:25 PM
There was a psychologist on NPR that was saying that the most effective way to end these kinds of tragedies isn't to ban guns, but rather for the media to refuse to agrandize the situations when they occur. Tell the story, but don't name the killer. Give no attention to him/her at all.
Reminds me of this bit of a British show that sort of satires the news:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

I'm torn, on the one hand, the Second Amendment is beautiful in it's trust in the yeomanry where a musket is just another tool to be used on the farm(kill pests, indians and Brits) and the millions of various guns swimming around the US, to be picked up by every crazy a 300 million strong nation can spit out, on the other hand. Statistics would suggest spree shootings to be fairly regular and indeed they are.

If only the teachers and children had been packing this wouldn't have happened.  ;)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

11B4V

Quote from: Scipio on December 14, 2012, 09:34:59 PM
Especially not if this guy is an Aspie, as is alleged, or has some other autism-spectrum related disorder.

Aspie?? Is that like Assburgers? I dont know what Aspie is.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

It sounds to me from what I read that he was basically a weird nerd.  Solution:  Put all weird nerds in prison. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Queequeg

Herostratus.  Don't blame media for reporting things that people do so it is reported.  That's kind of inevitable. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on December 14, 2012, 10:26:50 PM
It sounds to me from what I read that he was basically a weird nerd.  Solution:  Put all weird nerds in prison. :)
:mad:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Says the guy who cosplays as a Roman Soldier.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2012, 12:57:04 AM

Says the guy who cosplays as a Roman Soldier.
:lmfao: :pinch: