Elementary school shooting gun control pissing contest

Started by Grey Fox, December 14, 2012, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2013, 06:03:23 PM
Oh, Raz and his selective reading of isolated polls. Don't ever change :hug:

You are mistaking me for Phil.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2013, 06:03:23 PM
Oh, Raz and his selective reading of isolated polls. Don't ever change :hug:

Hehe, what's he going on about these days?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2013, 02:28:34 PM

Wow.  Mentally ill?  Really?  Do you apply that label to those who passionately defend other freedoms?

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that many Dems would very much like to outlaw all firearms.  No, they're not likely to get their way at the moment, but the possibility of any anti-gun legislation taking place is legitimate reason for gun rights advocates to be concerned.

Slippery slope logic.
I assume you also must be a die-hard ACLU fan, since the possibility of any infringement of any civil liberty is reason to be concerned.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 14, 2013, 11:34:08 AM

Wow.  Mentally ill?  Really?  Do you apply that label to those who passionately defend other freedoms?

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that many Dems would very much like to outlaw all firearms.  No, they're not likely to get their way at the moment, but the possibility of any anti-gun legislation taking place is legitimate reason for gun rights advocates to be concerned.

Slippery slope logic.
I assume you also must be a die-hard ACLU fan, since the possibility of any infringement of any civil liberty is reason to be concerned.

Not ACLU so much, but I'm a big fan of the bill of rights.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Just not the people who defend it passionately?

Valmy

Paranoid yes.  It gets me annoyed because what are the Dems proposing here?  A massive increase in the surveliance state.  But it seems that is cool so long as no gun control...because it seems that is all we need for our freedoms.

I support gun rights completely moron.  Not the over-the-top crazy hysterical way the paranoid crazies go at it.

QuoteAnyway, the fact of the matter is that many Dems would very much like to outlaw all firearms.  No, they're not likely to get their way at the moment, but the possibility of any anti-gun legislation taking place is legitimate reason for gun rights advocates to be concerned.

History has shown that even when the gun control peeps have popular support AND control of the congress they cannot get anything passed that is anything but a minor annoyance.  They continue talking about 'no military grade weapons blah blah' as if that is meaningful.

QuoteClassic liberal

Yep.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

And mentally ill was pretty strong.  I just hate those little 'this is how guns make us safe and free' pictures going around, it just seems to Michael Moorish.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on January 14, 2013, 02:38:02 PM
Paranoid yes.  It gets me annoyed because what are the Dems proposing here?  A massive increase in the surveliance state.  But it seems that is cool so long as no gun control...because it seems that is all we need for our freedoms.

Who is proposing that?  And are you sure no Dems are proposing gun restrictions?

QuoteI support gun rights completely moron.  Not the over-the-top crazy hysterical way the paranoid crazies go at it.

Again, do you go after similar-acting freedom of speech advocates the same way?

QuoteHistory has shown that even when the gun control peeps have popular support AND control of the congress they cannot get anything passed that is anything but a minor annoyance.

One could argue that the "paranoia" you refer to helped prevent meaningful anti-gun legislation at the federal level.

And that's ignoring the state level, at which many states have enacted significant anti-gun laws.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Admiral Yi

Until overturned by the USSC, DC had a de facto private gun ban.  So I don't think it's nutter butter paranoid to think that some people want to take guns away completely.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2013, 03:43:25 PM
I thought you guys were all about states rights.

You seriously trying to use that line?

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on January 14, 2013, 03:49:37 PM

You and I had this argument about state's rights and local control a little while ago.  Hell, I think guns were the example I used.  Can't find the thread right now.  I think it was in April of last year.  I was arguing that local control was a bullshit position and used gun rights as an example.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2013, 05:21:39 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 14, 2013, 03:49:37 PM

You and I had this argument about state's rights and local control a little while ago.  Hell, I think guns were the example I used.  Can't find the thread right now.  I think it was in April of last year.  I was arguing that local control was a bullshit position and used gun rights as an example.

So the fact that you've used that line before is proof of-- what, again?  It's a weak argument to make, but I'll let you go on and tell me how "states rights" supporters should have zero qualms about anti-gun legislation.

Razgovory

It was in the context of another law concerning abortion.  You said you opposed the law but really didn't care because it was in Ohio, I pointed out that's why the state's rights issue is bullshit because if it was guns you would give a shit.