Elementary school shooting gun control pissing contest

Started by Grey Fox, December 14, 2012, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on December 23, 2012, 02:14:42 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 23, 2012, 02:12:23 AM
Quote from: Grallon on December 23, 2012, 12:52:25 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 23, 2012, 12:38:06 AM
The idea that guns are needed in case the government turns evil is just :bleeding:

Indeed.  If the US of A decides you and your friends will die - you-will-die - full stop.  No matter how vast a private arsenal you have in your basement.  But then again myths are all about beliefs - not about facts.  And we already know Americans are a people... predisposed to faith...

G.

If you already know that, then whatcha bitchin about?

Cause that's what he does.

How silly of me, of course. :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on December 23, 2012, 12:23:48 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 22, 2012, 10:36:58 PM
I can't help but think that the pro-gun crowd is poorly served by the NRA.  I keep thinking that better arguments could be made then, "Lets arm the teachers", or "Schools should have armed security guards".  Why not point out that, while certainly tragic, crazed gunmen attacks like this are very rare.  The chances of being killed in one of these type of things is about only about two times as likely as being killed by a lightning.  That changing laws because of statistical outliers is silly.
That's not an argument gun nuts would want to make.  Yes, school shooting are rare.  Regular shootings, which kill thousands every year, are common, and many times more common than in countries with very limited gun ownership.  That argument could advance more pervasive control, rather than a token bullshit law to limit assault rifles.

What's your definition of "Gun Nut".

Martinus

Quote from: Grallon on December 23, 2012, 12:52:25 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 23, 2012, 12:38:06 AM
The idea that guns are needed in case the government turns evil is just :bleeding:

Indeed.  If the US of A decides you and your friends will die - you-will-die - full stop.  No matter how vast a private arsenal you have in your basement.  But then again myths are all about beliefs - not about facts.  And we already know Americans are a people... predisposed to faith...

G.

Yeah, I'm sure having guns would have helped these innocent bystanders and children regularly blown up to pieces by drones. Which, incidentally, makes the whole outrage about the school shooting rather hypocritical. Karma can be a bitch sometimes.

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on December 23, 2012, 02:27:11 AM
At its most basic, I would define it as someone who thinks America is a safer place with guns around.  I think there is some merit in the argument that the genie is out of the bottle, and that America can't be disarmed, but to even deny that having hundreds of millions of guns around leads to more dead people is the kind of imbecility that earns you the "gun nut" title.

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on December 23, 2012, 02:57:49 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 23, 2012, 02:27:11 AM
At its most basic, I would define it as someone who thinks America is a safer place with guns around.  I think there is some merit in the argument that the genie is out of the bottle, and that America can't be disarmed, but to even deny that having hundreds of millions of guns around leads to more dead people is the kind of imbecility that earns you the "gun nut" title.

That is why "you" people will fail to get nothing more than half-assed lame measures in place, if that. Your camp has not discovered the moderate gun owners or the casual gun owners.

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on December 23, 2012, 03:07:17 AM
That is why "you" people will fail to get nothing more than half-assed lame measures in place, if that. Your camp has not discovered the moderate gun owners or the casual gun owners.
How does this flow from what I wrote?  Moderate gun owners or casual gun owners are still imbeciles if they think guns make America safer.  The number of leaps of logic one has to take to arrive at that conclusion indicates lack of rationality, and the presence of fervor.  This kind of idiocy is what entrenches gun culture in US.

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on December 23, 2012, 03:15:07 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 23, 2012, 03:07:17 AM
How does this flow from what I wrote?  Moderate gun owners or casual gun owners are still imbeciles if they think guns make America safer.  The number of leaps of logic one has to take to arrive at that conclusion indicates lack of rationality, and the presence of fervor.  This kind of idiocy is what entrenches gun culture in US.

Again you fail. Your camp will continue to fail with that attitude and tone. You wont get half of your agenda without the "imbecile" moderates and casuals.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on December 23, 2012, 02:45:58 AM
Yeah, I'm sure having guns would have helped these innocent bystanders and children regularly blown up to pieces by drones. Which, incidentally, makes the whole outrage about the school shooting rather hypocritical. Karma can be a bitch sometimes.

:yawn: Lamest troll ever.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2012, 03:23:25 AM

It's Marty. What you expect? :lol:

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on December 23, 2012, 03:20:12 AM
Again you fail. Your camp will continue to fail with that attitude and tone. You wont get even a fractiion of your agenda without the "imbecile" moderates and casuals.
How do you know what my agenda is?  The only thing I'm passionate about in this issue is the sheer insanity of the gun nuts.  I'm not a gun ban advocate, I'm just an advocate for an honest debate about gun control with honest facts.  Imbeciles, even moderate ones, are the enemies of such an honest debate.

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on December 23, 2012, 03:25:37 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 23, 2012, 03:20:12 AM
Again you fail. Your camp will continue to fail with that attitude and tone. You wont get even a fractiion of your agenda without the "imbecile" moderates and casuals.
Imbeciles, even moderate ones, are the enemies of such an honest debate.

That's your problem. "You" are not displaying a willingness for honest debate. Only insults that wont get your camp anywhere.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2012, 03:23:25 AM

He could be honest, I wouldn't put that kind of Fred Phelps logic beyond him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017