Elementary school shooting gun control pissing contest

Started by Grey Fox, December 14, 2012, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Scipio on December 17, 2012, 09:26:31 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 17, 2012, 07:00:43 PM
What a stupid way to make that point.
The problem of evil is a stupid debate.  If you're at all educated, you're wholly familiar with all the various approaches to it, and you either believe in God or you don't.  Explicating the problem of evil to a bunch of Baptists/Evangelicals/other subrational Christians is like trying to scoop urine out of a public pool with a slotted spoon.  These are people who despite their belief in the unerrant Bible reject the Apocrypha without understanding why, and think that when people die they become angels.  Their understanding of Christian dogma is so poor it's a wonder they know murder is wrong, because they sure don't know why it's wrong, anymore than they know why gossiping is wrong, or stealing is wrong.

I can dig this.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

And that's all well and good, but remember that Scipio's point of view is from an isolated and backwards branch of the Christian family.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on December 17, 2012, 09:49:58 PM
And that's all well and good, but remember that Scipio's point of view is from an isolated and backwards branch of the Christian family.

True. I just lump him in there. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 17, 2012, 05:22:00 PM
I have a small safe on the nightstand with a four button combo lock on it. I can get the gun out in about two seconds, but nobody else can get it at all. It's not hard to be reasonably responsible about it and make them inaccessible to the kiddies.

The dumbasss mother of that murderer, could have spent less than 25.00 four all four of the guns. Yet she knew her son was fucked up and did nothing of the kind.

Also notice the integral locking system on this Bersa. Should be standard.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

Surely the Second Amendment protects your right to not use triggerlocks?

Maybe next the NRA can get using dum-dum rounds on preschoolers ruled as protected speech.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

citizen k

Quote from: Neil on December 17, 2012, 10:20:55 PM

Maybe next the NRA can get using dum-dum rounds on preschoolers ruled as protected speech.

Indeed. Performance Art. Qualifies it for an NEA grant.

11B4V

Quote from: Neil on December 17, 2012, 10:20:55 PM

You're a moron.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Assuming the mother knew her son was nuts, to what degree can be held liable (whether criminally or in tort) for failing to secure the firearms so he cannot reach them?

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on December 18, 2012, 02:23:52 AM
Assuming the mother knew her son was nuts, to what degree can be held liable (whether criminally or in tort) for failing to secure the firearms so he cannot reach them?

Somehow I don't think she'll be standing trial anytime soon.  Or standing for that matter.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

11B4V

CountDeMoney

Hey, look who's going to crash the party!

QuoteWestboro Baptist Church, the tiny independent fundamentalist Christian church based in Topeka, Kan., announced on Twitter that, once again, they are planning to stomp over our nation's heartache by protesting at the funerals of the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting and declaring "God sent the shooter."