Elementary school shooting reported in Newtown, Conn.

Started by garbon, December 14, 2012, 11:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

Lanza's mother received alimony of $240,000 a year, scheduled to grow to $300,000 a year by 2015, so they at least probably led a materially comfortable life... (with money available for medical treatment)

But despite knowing that her son had mental problems, she still bought guns and had him trained in the use of firearms. :wacko:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324677204578185943777730944.html

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on December 18, 2012, 03:11:30 AM
But despite knowing that her son had mental problems, she still bought guns and had him trained in the use of firearms. :wacko:

There are mental problems, and there are mental problems that manifest themselves with violence.  From all the accounts I've read, from family members to childhood classmates, he never had a single outburst or any other manifestation.

And going to the range occasionally isn't what I would call "trained".

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2012, 07:13:00 AM
There are mental problems, and there are mental problems that manifest themselves with violence.  From all the accounts I've read, from family members to childhood classmates, he never had a single outburst or any other manifestation.

Yeah. It really seems as if this attack came completely out of nowhere. No hints to anyone, except maybe his mother, which means we'll never know.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Darth Wagtaros

I love those comments in that Wall Street Journal article. "Ship the bodies to a medical school for dissection, its a fitting place for an animal and its mother."  Classy.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on December 18, 2012, 07:14:39 AM
Yeah. It really seems as if this attack came completely out of nowhere. No hints to anyone, except maybe his mother, which means we'll never know.

Well, for whatever reason, he certainly had an issue with her in the end.  Shot her in the face four times.  That's an exclamation point.

Phillip V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2012, 07:13:00 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on December 18, 2012, 03:11:30 AM

There are precursors to violent manifestations. I don't see how keeping weapons around any problem person is safe even with no violent history, especially a young boy/man.

Looking beyond clinical situations, for example, I would keep weapons or drugs or high-risk situations away from someone who is going through a bad breakup/divorce, recent job/money loss, loss of a loved one, etc.

As for Adam's medical/mental/education history, that has yet to be released.

Just an initial lesson and firing of a firearm is enough to make someone far more lethal than a noob that just randomly found a gun and never fire one. I was dumbfounded when I first picked up a rifle and gun and shocked at the physical force of firing them. But then shortly thereafter being shown how to disable the safeties and load the weapons put me light years ahead of where I was before.

The amount of rounds he shot off, his breaking into the school through gunfire, and his quick mowing down of the principal+worker that charged at him seem to indicate he was trained to the point of lethal confidence and proficiency.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on December 18, 2012, 07:50:04 AM
The amount of rounds he shot off, his breaking into the school through gunfire, and his quick mowing down of the principal+worker that charged at him seem to indicate he was trained to the point of lethal confidence and proficiency.

It also seemed to indicate that he was nuttier than squirrel shit.

Caliga

I blame the kid's mom.  She sounds like one of these helicopter parents who thinks she knows better than everyone else what's best for her son.  Also, it sounds like they just sat around at home bored all day thinking crazy thoughts.  It's not good for crazy people to be bored.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Caliga

Hmm I wonder who I might have been thinking of when I made my post. :ph34r:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius