The origins of the Romani determined definitively

Started by jimmy olsen, December 12, 2012, 03:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 12, 2012, 10:08:06 AM
Zipperheads.
that's vietnamese!

If there's one thing that is unacceptable about languish is the misuse of ethnic slurs! If you're going to use them use them correctly :ultra: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

The one that gets me is "they're not retarded, theyre slow". But I guess if you don't know French you wouldn't know why that sounds odd.

And yes, I know it's the history of the word that makes it offensive, but it still sounds weird to me.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on December 12, 2012, 10:18:23 AM
that's vietnamese!

If there's one thing that is unacceptable about languish is the misuse of ethnic slurs! If you're going to use them use them correctly :ultra: :P

I think most of our slurs we used in Vietnam had already been used in the Phillipines, in World War II, and in the Korean War.  Our lack of creativity in tactics was only equaled in our lack of creativity in racial slurs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on December 12, 2012, 10:15:41 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 12, 2012, 09:46:04 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2012, 09:31:42 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 12, 2012, 04:04:13 AM
Excellent. So now racists just have to remember the one slur, "fecking pakis" covers them both.

Racial slurs are pretty weak and uncreative but this is the lamest racial slur I have ever heard.  In order to show our disdain for you we are going to shorten Pakistani to Paki!  Eh?  Feel degraded and insulted yet?

Does it also work if I call Britons Brits?

Well term for Japanese is a comparison.

Yeah, but I always thought "Japs" was a silly one to consider offensive as well.  Do actual Japanese people take offense at that?

Yes - they say it should be "Nips".  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Zipperheads.
that's vietnamese!

And gooks are Koreans.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2012, 11:26:52 AM
Zipperheads.
that's vietnamese!

And gooks are Koreans.

Koreans are certainly the OGs, but thanks to all the Vietnam movies most people associate that term more with Vietnamese.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2012, 11:26:52 AM
Zipperheads.
that's vietnamese!

And gooks are Koreans.

As are slopeheads, according to my dad. (He spent two years in Korea in the Army in the early 60s.)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on December 12, 2012, 12:33:11 PM
As are slopeheads, according to my dad. (He spent two years in Korea in the Army in the early 60s.)

I'm pretty sure slope is a term that originally meant Vietnamese. 

What I think happened is that during the Vietnam War Asian perjoratives began to be applied more indisciminately.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2012, 12:52:27 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 12, 2012, 12:33:11 PM

I'm pretty sure slope is a term that originally meant Vietnamese. 

What I think happened is that during the Vietnam War Asian perjoratives began to be applied more indisciminately.

Pity.  In WWII we were so good about distinguishing between different East Asian ethnicities :P

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Lettow77

Quote from: derspiess on December 12, 2012, 10:15:41 AM

Yeah, but I always thought "Japs" was a silly one to consider offensive as well.  Do actual Japanese people take offense at that?

They in fact take offense at both nips and japs in my experience, but in a polite and low-key way. Response to "honorary aryan" is highly variable depending on the japanese in question.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

Good to hear... so can we maybe get them off the damn streets and into a call center now? :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points