The origins of the Romani determined definitively

Started by jimmy olsen, December 12, 2012, 03:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2012, 09:43:16 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 12, 2012, 09:39:48 AM
I thought this was already known.

It was a likely theory I think based on culture and language and all that good stuff but now we know for sure.  Or supposedly do.

Not necessarily.  I remember two studies on neanderthal genetics that came out with in a year of each other one saying that the humans and neanderthals mated and another that said they did not.  I'm guessing genetic science is still open to some interpretation.  Determining where people come from based on Haplotypes often comes out with weird results because as I understand it people with certain haplotypes may live all over the world and but may have a higher population in certain areas.  For instance, Hitler was found to have belonged to a Haplogroup that is common in North Africa but is less common in Western Europe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on December 12, 2012, 09:44:44 PM
Not necessarily.  I remember two studies on neanderthal genetics that came out with in a year of each other one saying that the humans and neanderthals mated and another that said they did not.  I'm guessing genetic science is still open to some interpretation.  Determining where people come from based on Haplotypes often comes out with weird results because as I understand it people with certain haplotypes may live all over the world and but may have a higher population in certain areas.  For instance, Hitler was found to have belonged to a Haplogroup that is common in North Africa but is less common in Western Europe.

Yeah that was what I was getting at with the 'supposedly' qualification.  I am not entirely sold on these genetic studies.  Particularly for human populations 1000 years old.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Hitler was found to have belonged to a Haplogroup that is common in North Africa but is less common in Western Europe.
OMG he was a Jew! :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on December 13, 2012, 07:53:17 AM
Hitler was found to have belonged to a Haplogroup that is common in North Africa but is less common in Western Europe.
OMG he was a Jew! :cool:

It was reportedly like this, but this is not exactly correct.  It is a Haplogroup that is common amongst European Jews though.  You couldn't say definitively he was a Jew or a Moor from this or really anything definitively.  Just that he belonged to a Haplogroup that commonly associated with people from North Africa.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017