How Much Does a Good Restaurant Steak Cost Where You Live?

Started by Admiral Yi, December 05, 2012, 03:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on December 06, 2012, 04:03:32 PM
Some people are quoting the prices for just the steak, while others are quoting the prices for a whole steak dinner.  So some of the people in areas where the cost of living is higher are paying as much for just the steak as others are for the whole meal.

Inclusion or exclusion of a potato and some lettuce should not impact cost of materials or preparation all that much.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 06, 2012, 04:15:33 PM
Quote from: dps on December 06, 2012, 04:03:32 PM
Some people are quoting the prices for just the steak, while others are quoting the prices for a whole steak dinner.  So some of the people in areas where the cost of living is higher are paying as much for just the steak as others are for the whole meal.

Inclusion or exclusion of a potato and some lettuce should not impact cost of materials or preparation all that much.

Maybe but when I do get sides include they are more likely to be "Cabernet Caper Reduction and Baby Bok Choy" or something of the like.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on December 06, 2012, 04:22:45 PM
Maybe but when I do get sides include they are more likely to be "Cabernet Caper Reduction and Baby Bok Choy" or something of the like.

That changes everything.  That Bok Choy sells for a hundred dollars a head.

Scipio

I haven't had a restaurant steak in Hattiesburg in ages.  The usual chains are about.

Our local hole-in-the-wall that serves prime aged Angus charges in the $30 for a filet.

http://www.donanelles.com/menu.html

Our local middle American steakhouse doesn't use prime beef, so they're cheaper.

http://myconestogasteakhouse.com/Dinner_Menu.html

Generally, I just go to my local butcher, buy a 2 inch thick Porterhouse, rub with olive oil and sea salt, crack some pepper on it, and grill it slowly over low heat.  Then when it hits medium rare I take it off the grill, let it rest, and carve it up a treat.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

11B4V

Quote from: Scipio on December 06, 2012, 04:43:16 PM
I haven't had a restaurant steak in Hattiesburg in ages.  The usual chains are about.

Our local hole-in-the-wall that serves prime aged Angus charges in the $30 for a filet.

http://www.donanelles.com/menu.html

Our local middle American steakhouse doesn't use prime beef, so they're cheaper.

http://myconestogasteakhouse.com/Dinner_Menu.html

Generally, I just go to my local butcher, buy a 2 inch thick Porterhouse, rub with olive oil and sea salt, crack some pepper on it, and grill it slowly over low heat.  Then when it hits medium rare I take it off the grill, let it rest, and carve it up a treat.

;)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadImmortalMan

Why low heat? When I do it, I use the highest heat I can get. What's the advantage low vs high?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 06, 2012, 04:43:11 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 06, 2012, 04:22:45 PM

That changes everything.  That Bok Choy sells for a hundred dollars a head.

*shrugs*

People charge mark up for things that sound exotic.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Scipio

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 06, 2012, 05:20:34 PM

Why low heat? When I do it, I use the highest heat I can get. What's the advantage low vs high?

It's a 2 inch thick cut of meat with a big fucking bone in it.  If you cook it high heat, you will get a cold inside and a charred outside.  I sear the exterior on the high heat, then I move the meat to the cooler side of the grill.  Then you can take your time, and get it to the right temp without watching the clock.

My preference is for rare, but the wife doesn't like it mooing.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt