How Much Does a Good Restaurant Steak Cost Where You Live?

Started by Admiral Yi, December 05, 2012, 03:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Checked an upscale business lunch restaurant in Warsaw that specializes in steaks:

- New York, US prime beef - 110 zloty ($35)
- Rib Eye, Black Angus Australian beef - 120 zloty ($40)
- Wagyu, marbling class 3, Spanish beef - 90 zloty ($30) per 100g (3.5 oz)
- T-Bone, Hereford Irish beef, 500g (18 oz) - 190 zloty ($60)
- Chateaubriand - 220 zloty ($70)

The prices are without sides.

Syt

You can get cheap steaks in Vienna, but for a good and proper one it'll be €25-€35 depending on cut and place.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Gups

The two top end mini-chains in London (Hawksmoor and Goodmans) charge abou £7 per hundred grams for ribe eye, sirloin, t-bone etc. More for those with poor enough taste to go for fillet.

Sides are extra.

Brazen

Quote from: Warspite on December 05, 2012, 04:29:02 PM
You can get a perfectly tasty one for less in a good pub though.
Agreed. Working opposite Smithfield meat market you could get a steak (with sides) for £12 in a pub or somewhere like Smiths, or Hix offers "South Devon Ruby Red fillet steak on the bone (300g)" for £36.50, which is about $59.

As to getting decent steak in Asia, I had no success in Hong Kong or Beijing, but had a lovely Australian steak in Singapore.

Martim Silva

I the restaurant I go to, Argentinian-bred Black Angus (350g) costs 40 euro (about $52).

Just the steak. The full dish with sides goes to 45 euro ($62). If you want a drink and dessert, the whole meal prices in at 65 euro ($85).

This in a country where the average wage is $13K per year. And where the goverment just hiked taxes by 120%.

Small wonder meat consumption has fallen by 40%. And will fall more in 2013, as people stop being able to afford it.

derspiess

Quote from: PDH on December 05, 2012, 10:09:31 PM
Sad thing is that Laramie, in the middle of the High Plains, has no real steak house.

One of the best steaks I ever had was in Jackson, which obviously is a bit far from Laramie.  But man was it nice.  I always have to ask my brother the name of the place because I was buzzed at the time and just can't remember it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2012, 03:25:18 PM
Took my parents out last night for their birthdays.  Checked out a new restaurant in town.  Very nice. 

Petit Filet Mignon (8 ounces) was 33 clams, Grand (12 ounces) was 39.

How much do you pay for a good steak?
Locally, in my home town, in a restaurant, expect to pay 20$ for a 12 ounces AAA steak.  Includes potato (oven or fries) or 2 salads.
The local ATV club during winter has steak meals about once a month, it's 15$.  Don't know the category, and it must be between 10-12 onces (not all pieces are equal), but it's excellent, cooked on live fire outside.

The downside is, none of these restaurants offer decent wine, and none of these has a good ambiance.

In Quebec city, the best restaurant (La Bête) hasaNew York AAA 14 ounces (40 days old) for 39,95$ (32.95$ for 10ounces).  Good ambiance, excellent wine.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Habbaku

I'm in roughly the same area as Ulmont, so those prices. :smarty:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

I'm kinda surprised how little the local cost of living seems to impact steak price.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 06, 2012, 03:45:28 PM
I'm kinda surprised how little the local cost of living seems to impact steak price.

Some people are quoting the prices for just the steak, while others are quoting the prices for a whole steak dinner.  So some of the people in areas where the cost of living is higher are paying as much for just the steak as others are for the whole meal.

garbon

I'd blame sample and question. As Ulmont said - prices can look quite crazy in NYC. And also the question kind of pushed for people to put things at the higher end. I wonder what it would look like if we looked at average steak price in each location.

That said, I'll agree that it does seem though that in this thread it looks like the same quality/cut of meat is going on for the same range around the $40.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 06, 2012, 03:45:28 PM
i think this is more cultural. In continental Europe steaks are more "exotic" and thus more expensive.