How Much Does a Good Restaurant Steak Cost Where You Live?

Started by Admiral Yi, December 05, 2012, 03:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Ideologue on December 05, 2012, 09:37:16 PM
I dunno.  Like $15-$25 I guess.

$45 for a steak?  Jesus.

You might need to redefine "Good."  Longhorn, sure, $15-$25.  "Good"?  No.  Some places, you can more or less pay as much as you want (I've been to one steakhouse in Chicago where the Waygu steaks went into 3 digits, and I'm sure NYC has more expensive stuff).

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on December 05, 2012, 09:33:22 PM
So, I'll be alright going there, just so long as it isn't in a group, say like a battalion.  :bowler:

Yeah, just don't ride your bike anywhere on the street.  You will not survive their driving.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

I'm pretty sure if you're eating Wagyu in the US, it's fake.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PDH

Sad thing is that Laramie, in the middle of the High Plains, has no real steak house.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

ulmont

Wagyu in the US is a Wagyu-Angus cross.  It's actual Kobe you can't get.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on December 05, 2012, 09:52:31 PM
I dunno.  Like $15-$25 I guess.

$45 for a steak?  Jesus.

You might need to redefine "Good."  Longhorn, sure, $15-$25.  "Good"?  No.  Some places, you can more or less pay as much as you want (I've been to one steakhouse in Chicago where the Waygu steaks went into 3 digits, and I'm sure NYC has more expensive stuff).

I was pretty cruel the one day that I said I wanted to go get a steak and a colleague from NJ suggested Outback.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on December 05, 2012, 10:37:41 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on December 05, 2012, 10:27:05 PM
Not a steak person.
A filet at Harry Caray's costs $45 IIRC.

If only there were a website where you could verify that.  We could host it at the following url:
http://www.harrycarays.com/menus/HC_dinner_menu.pdf
($43.95 for the 13 oz)

katmai

Don't go there often, but if going out for steak here in town it would be @ Simon and Seaforts

Dinner Menu
Premium Meats

Rock Salt Roasted Prime Rib
    red jacket mashed potatoes, cedar plank roasted asparagus, herb jus, spicy horseradish. our prime ribs are slow roasted under a mountain of rock salt, rubbed with fresh garlic and herbs, charred under extreme heat that results in a superior crust

Seared Peppercorn Crusted New York Steak  maytag blue cheese, brandy-peppercorn sauce, roasted yukon gold potatoes, seasonal vegetables

Char-Grilled Filet Mignon smoked mushrooms with truffle, red jacket mashed potatoes, brandy-mustard sauce
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on December 05, 2012, 10:57:13 PM
$45 for a steak?  Jesus.
Welcome to real life in America.

Well if you like to waste your money, be my fucking guest. :P

Quote from: ulmontYou might need to redefine "Good."  Longhorn, sure, $15-$25.  "Good"?  No.  Some places, you can more or less pay as much as you want (I've been to one steakhouse in Chicago where the Waygu steaks went into 3 digits, and I'm sure NYC has more expensive stuff).

I dunno.  It's cow meat.  It's fine.  I'll concede I'm a bad person to ask about "good" food.  I did have an inkling that the food snobs of Languish probably did not mean chain restaurant steaks.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

A good steak can't be had here for any price.

At least I haven't found one yet.

Koreans are uniquely bad at western food, I've had great western food in Japan, Taiwan and the Philippines, but at best you'll be able to find something that only rates good here. They just feel compelled to Koreanize it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Duque de Bragança

Near Bragança, the typical posta mirandesa would be around 10 euros. Add a couple euros for wine, coffee and brandy.

Camerus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 06, 2012, 02:05:46 AM
A good steak can't be had here for any price.

At least I haven't found one yet.

Koreans are uniquely bad at western food, I've had great western food in Japan, Taiwan and the Philippines, but at best you'll be able to find something that only rates good here. They just feel compelled to Koreanize it.

It's the same in China, but I live in a large enough city to have restaurants owned and/or run by western staff.

To get a good steak here may be around $30 USD.  At least there's no taxes on top of it, though western joints tend to charge a "service charge" of around 10% (unlike most Chinese places that never require tips).