News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Self-published Novels - good idea or no?

Started by merithyn, December 04, 2012, 10:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Just out of interest, has anyone here read any self-published novels? I haven't.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Brazen on December 05, 2012, 10:50:13 AM
Just out of interest, has anyone here read any self-published novels? I haven't.

Every now and then my cursor hovers over the 99 cent buy now button, but then I read the description and wander off.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

I've read a few from friends or friends of friends. The stories were mostly decent, but they were badly in need of a good editor. Nothing annoys me more than the common, new writer habits of using adverbs and over-explaining things, which tended to be rife throughout the books that I've read.

This book doesn't have a lot of that, mostly because I kind of beat it into my friend's head that that stuff is the mark of a rank amateur and/or a really crap novel, and he actually listened on that one.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

As said above, one, maybe. But it was already picked up by a publisher and lying on the shelf in my local bookstore when I became aware of it. The name/author also helped.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

A coworker's son once had a small collection of short stories self-published.  Quality of writing aside, it wasn't a bad production.

I can see where the value of self-publishing can come in handy;  it's something tangible to submit to others, or for writing contests, etc.  But I think those exceptions aside, the biggest plus for self-publishing is for the writer.  It's a sense of accomplishment, as someone already remarked.

Gups

I read one which, in retrospect was probably self-published. A fictional (obv) diary or Mairy Antionette. I got it because I had a few days in Vesailles and it had a few five star reviews (probably from the author's mates). It wasn't badly written but it was deadly dull. I gave up half way through before she had even go to Versailles. So that was a couple of quid and three reading days downs the swannee.

merithyn

Oh! And I also have Buddha Rhubbarb's chap book, which he self-published.

It's probably the best of the printed self-published books that I've gotten.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Yup, many years ago in high school. A high school history teacher self-published a novel, and would lend a copy to any student who wanted to read it.

I borrowed a copy and read it. It wasn't bad ... it was an adventure novel, set in Victorian era London, all about a dapper gentleman who ran a spy ring with the help of a collection of young girls he rescued from a life of sex slavery and lodged in a school which he ran for wayward young ladies. These girls all worshipped him, and he used them to carry out spy missions.

I thanked him and gave it back, and to my utter lack of surprise a couple of years later he was fired for inappropriate behaviour with female students.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Darth Wagtaros

Yeah. I got one at Borders once.  Thought it had a lot of errors in it and was shoddily edited.  Then I noticed the back where it was self published and it all became clear.  I get the cheap sci fi books off Amazon, some of them self published. Same deal. Hit or miss on quality.
PDH!

garbon

I read one that a roommate from college published. Was dreadful but since all the proceeds were donated to a cancer society, wasn't entirely pointless.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

If you write a good novel and work your ass off, maybe you can make a go of self-publishing. Even so, that's a rough row to hoe. If GaijinDuMoscu comes by, we can ask him... he was flogging his novel a little while ago.

I've published a few short stories and they haven't gotten anywhere. Maybe they suck, but even if they don't I haven't put the work into trying to take them anywhere... and it's a lot of work. If you're the kind of person who regularly tweets things that are interesting or write fascinating blog posts on a consistent basis you may have a go at it; or if you're one of the leading personalities on a huge message board. Other than that, I think it's low odds.

That said, of course I occasionally tend my own daydream of self-publishing and succeeding, but given the fact that I've never read anything self-published myself it's probably pretty unlikely. Should I ever write an actual novel, I expect I'll try to take it the traditional route and take my lumps that way.

Ed Anger

I'll give my amatuer marketing take:

Hit every book forum that allows you to post an advertisement post. Mobileread did, at least last time I checked. Give away a goodly chunk to try to ensnare people. Or even give it away with a request for a donation if they like it on your website.

You want to build the brand(YOU, the author). Build up a fan base,even a smallish one,  then start charging 3 bucks for it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

See, that's why this guy is richer then the rest of us.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2012, 08:53:59 PM
I'll give my amatuer marketing take:

Hit every book forum that allows you to post an advertisement post. Mobileread did, at least last time I checked. Give away a goodly chunk to try to ensnare people. Or even give it away with a request for a donation if they like it on your website.

You want to build the brand(YOU, the author). Build up a fan base,even a smallish one,  then start charging 3 bucks for it.

Very good advice.

But depressing, as leaving aside the writing, it seems a per-requiste is you're a gifted marketeer.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on December 05, 2012, 09:46:25 PM
But depressing, as leaving aside the writing, it seems a per-requiste is you're a gifted marketeer.

I don't think that's depressing. The internet has made self-promotion so much easier.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.