News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rubio and Roberston on Young Earth

Started by garbon, December 04, 2012, 09:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/does-gop-religious-retreat-103526580--election.html

QuoteIt's no surprise that Florida Sen. Marco Rubio took heat for an interview he gave to GQ magazine this month: Departing from scientific consensus, the rising Republican star refused to state whether the Earth is billions of years old or a few thousand, as many fundamentalist Christians believe.

What no one expected was the rebuke from televangelist and longtime Christian conservative leader Pat Robertson, dismissing theories of a "young Earth."

"If you fight science, you are going to lose your children," Robertson said last week during an appearance on the Christian Broadcast Network, the television empire he founded three decades ago.

Robertson wasn't directly speaking to Rubio, but the senator and others in his party might heed the advice. Viewed by many voters as anti-science and too conservative on social issues such as gay marriage, the Republican Party is in danger of losing young and less religious voters for years to come.

There's more of this op-ed about Republicans and religion but I thought these were the interesting bits.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

I wonder if Robertson is really not a believer in the young earth or if he just wants to stay politically relevant.
PDH!

Tamas

Everyone who is on the big business level of religion must  be perfectly aware that it is a load of bullshit.

derspiess

I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal was over Rubio's answer.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

QuoteWhether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries.

:yeahright:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2012, 10:17:31 AM
QuoteWhether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries.

It's a throwaway answer to an irrelevant question.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

At best his answer in full was pandering to people who'd be upset if he said that he agreed with modern science. As a Republican, I'm tired of that.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2012, 10:28:06 AM
At best his answer in full was pandering to people who'd be upset if he said that he agreed with modern science. As a Republican, I'm tired of that.

No, it's a non-answer trying not to alienate either side.  If he were pandering to the young-earth crowd, he'd state his agreement with them.

Gups

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 10:22:14 AM

It's a profile interview. How can any question about the subject's life or beliefs be irrelevant.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 10:31:33 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2012, 10:28:06 AM

No, it's a non-answer trying not to alienate either side.  If he were pandering to the young-earth crowd, he'd state his agreement with them.

Except it is alienating to one side. There's no real reason to dodge and weave on a question on which there is no scientific controversy short of wanting to make sure that some segment of religious folks don't get upset.  I also liked this bit from the WSJ:

QuoteThe age of the Earth and the rejection of evolution aren't core Christian beliefs. Neither appears in the Nicene or Apostle's Creed. Nor did Jesus teach them. Historical Christianity has not focused on how God created the universe, but on how God saves humanity through Jesus' death and resurrection.

Grey Fox

They are in King James bible's Genese tho. The source of all this crap.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Gups on December 04, 2012, 10:39:01 AM

It's a profile interview. How can any question about the subject's life or beliefs be irrelevant.

Because very few people have strong beliefs on that, either way.  The age of the planet earth has very little bearing on current issues.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 04, 2012, 10:54:10 AM
They are in King James bible's Genese tho. The source of all this crap.

Lot's of things are in the bible. There aren't really that many people who are out championing every bit of the bible as literally true - and not all of those bits become battleground issues.

sbr

It has bearing on whether you are bat shit insane though.

And/or pandering to the bat shit insane

Gups

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 10:59:23 AM
Quote from: Gups on December 04, 2012, 10:39:01 AM

Because very few people have strong beliefs on that, either way.  The age of the planet earth has very little bearing on current issues.

I grant you that's an irrelevant answer! He wasn't being asked about current issues. When asked about how much his grandfather inspired him he didn't say that had nothing to do with the state of the economy. 

And I disagree anyway. I am as near to certain as you can be that the earth is more than 7,000 years and I think most people who are not religious fundamentalists are too. Those who are equally have a strong belief that it is.

I personally would not vote for anyone of any party who is unable to say that the earth is more than 7,000 years old.