News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Will Taiwan Defect to China?

Started by jimmy olsen, May 25, 2009, 09:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 25, 2009, 09:11:39 PM
Quote from: miglia on May 25, 2009, 05:56:16 PMeven the talks of a chinese-controlled canal through the Malay peninsula in Thailand.

That could easily be blockaded too. I don't see the point.

not only that, but would thailand really be that stupid to turn over souvereignity of part of its territory?

Alatriste

I don't consider myself an expert on Chinese history, but I'm surprised by the reference to the 'Leninist roots' of the KMT. That seems quite excessive and biased...

Regarding Taiwan and China, I don't think we should be overly worried. What would the KMT or its leadership gain by rejoining China? Demotion to being merely Beijing's appointed officials?

Regarding the broader question about the convenience or even feasibility of self determination I agree historic record seems quite damning. It has been a mess from the start, the 1921 Silesian plebiscite and its results are indeed instructive at the respect: if there is a clear majority, a general consensus, no 'self determination process' is needed; if such a consensus doesn't exist, self determination solves nothing. In other words the very term 'self determination' assumes only ONE community does exist and can decide its own destiny; when there are more than one, and that's usually the case... hilarity ensues, to put it mildly.

Valmy

Quote from: Alatriste on May 26, 2009, 01:43:18 AM
Regarding the broader question about the convenience or even feasibility of self determination I agree historic record seems quite damning. It has been a mess from the start, the 1921 Silesian plebiscite and its results are indeed instructive at the respect: if there is a clear majority, a general consensus, no 'self determination process' is needed; if such a consensus doesn't exist, self determination solves nothing. In other words the very term 'self determination' assumes only ONE community does exist and can decide its own destiny; when there are more than one, and that's usually the case... hilarity ensues, to put it mildly.

Yep.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on May 25, 2009, 11:44:37 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 25, 2009, 09:16:25 PM
You show a callous disregard for the freedom of the individual.

No I show a great relief everytime a potential world conflict point has a possibility of being resolved.
I just find this attitude to be insane. Who cares if a conflict point is resolved if the totalitarian nation comes out on top. If the goal is to avoid conflict we might as well withdraw from the world and bring back isolationism.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Camerus

Since when is a one party state synonymous with "totalitarianism"?  The PRC is not democratic, but in 2009 it certainly isn't totalitarian either, at least not as I understand the word.

Anyhow, the article is hysterical nonsense.  Ma appears to fundamentally pragmatic, and having negotiated commercial treaties with mainland China is hardly the same as handing the keys of Taipei to Beijing.

As well, it must be patently obvious to everyone at this point that the old KMT claim to be the legitimate government of China has become more or less absurd by this time.  Recognizing this fact, again, is not handing over control of Taiwan to the CCP.

Anyhow, if the majority of Taiwanese really do want to join China in a HK-esque fashion, then it certainly isn't our place to prevent that from happening.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on May 26, 2009, 09:07:46 AM

Anyhow, if the majority of Taiwanese really do want to join China in a HK-esque fashion, then it certainly isn't our place to prevent that from happening.
But they don't, that's the whole point. Support for that is in the single digits.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Camerus

Yes.  Which is part of the reason why the article is hysterical.