News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rule, Britannia!

Started by Caliga, December 03, 2012, 02:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2012, 02:02:41 PM
Nah. My daughter wants to be president so she can help people. I keep telling her that that's not what they do, but she doesn't believe me.

Ah, that's just what she tells you.  I'm sure she's actually power-hungry :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Given how she followed that up with, "Whether they want me to or not," I'm willing to believe you.  :ph34r:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2012, 02:02:41 PM
Nah. My daughter wants to be president so she can help people. I keep telling her that that's not what they do, but she doesn't believe me.
Tell her that God helps those who help themselves. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Mine will rule on a throne of skulls.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

By the way: Rule, Britannia! should be the UK's national anthem.  Man up, Britain.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on December 04, 2012, 07:41:06 PM
By the way: Rule, Britannia! should be Britain's national anthem.  Man up, Britain.

Too aggressive these days.  "Britannia rule the waves"?  No, today they prefer to have a referendum on devolution of powers to the waves.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

If they adopt a badass anthem, it might inspire them to be more badass.  In conclusion, bring back Thatcher.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on December 04, 2012, 07:48:44 PM
If they adopt a badass anthem, it might inspire them to be more badass.  In conclusion, bring back Thatcher.

Josq just cried out in pain.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 04, 2012, 07:51:15 PM
If Henry VIII met Josq and realized that he represents the average English kid these days, he'd cut his own fucking head off.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on December 04, 2012, 07:54:53 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 04, 2012, 07:51:15 PM
If Henry VIII met Josq and realized that he represents the average English kid these days, he'd cut his own fucking head off.

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

The succession law is being changed so that the new royal sprog will be 3rd in line to the throne regardless of its sex. The Daily Mail points out that, if this change had been made in Victoria's reign, then Kaiser Bill would have been king  :cool:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2243135/ROBERT-HARDMAN-On-law-Kaiser-Bill-king.html

I particularly liked this bit :

"Not unreasonably, it has been suggested that this might have averted the Great War on the grounds that 'Kaiser Bill', however idiotic, would not have gone to war against himself."

Josquius

That would be an interesting situation assuming a convergant alternate history. One monarch whose two nations, one more democratic than the other but neither entirely under his control, with completely opposing national interests....
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Hmmm.....a lot of the trouble was caused by the backing the Kaiser gave to the building of a huge German fleet. If he had been king of Great Britain he would have had the fleet without all that hassle  :P .

I disagree with you on the "opposing national interests". It took a lot of diplomatic incompetence by the German Empire to alienate Great Britain. Short of Germany being run by a madman they are natural allies for us.