News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Where to be born in 2013 vs. 1988

Started by Syt, December 03, 2012, 05:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on January 07, 2013, 04:00:21 PM
Seriously, the Ukraine is the worst place to be born? 

Yes.

Canada, Sweden and Norway are only great places to be born if you assume global warming's gonna raise their temperatures by 30-40 degrees in the next decade. :thumbsdown:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 24, 2013, 09:10:00 PM

Yes.

Canada, Sweden and Norway are only great places to be born if you assume global warming's gonna raise their temperatures by 30-40 degrees in the next decade. :thumbsdown:

More evidence of the failure of your high school educational system. :(

Camerus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 24, 2013, 09:10:00 PM

Yes.

I knew a Ukrainian-Canadian girl in university who got all shitty on me once when I used the definite article and called it "the Ukraine." 

Ideologue

Maybe she should have come from a real country and not a geographic region.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 24, 2013, 10:19:24 PM
More evidence of the failure of your high school educational system. :(

Just multiply those numbers by 5/9, sheesh.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on January 24, 2013, 11:04:18 PM
:mad: Ukraine has a proud, multi-decade history. 

Syt

In German, Ukraine is one of the countries that goes with the definitive article: die Ukraine (feminine). (Queue Simpsons joke: Die Ukraine, die!) There's a few countries like that in German: Die Türkei, der Kosovo, der Sudan, die USA, der Tschad, der Niger, der Kongo, der Irak, der Iran, , der Libanon, der Jemen . . . most go without it though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Is "Die", feminine and "Der", masculine?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Yes. Although "die" also indicates plural ("die Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika"). "Der" seems to be used mostly for ex-colonies, where the name first designated a region and only later an independent country.

"Die" seems to be very rare. Maybe Zanza can think of more examples of countries using that article, besides Ukraine and Turkey.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on January 24, 2013, 11:39:11 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 24, 2013, 11:04:18 PM
:mad: Ukraine has a proud, multi-decade history.

:D
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on January 25, 2013, 12:18:07 AM
In German, Ukraine is one of the countries that goes with the definitive article: die Ukraine (feminine). (Queue Simpsons joke: Die Ukraine, die!) There's a few countries like that in German: Die Türkei, der Kosovo, der Sudan, die USA, der Tschad, der Niger, der Kongo, der Irak, der Iran, , der Libanon, der Jemen . . . most go without it though.

It's "the U.S." in English too.  The other ones are fucking posers.
Kinemalogue

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

I felt nostalgic watching that. I think I did all of those things except bowl cut and wallet chain.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on January 25, 2013, 12:31:49 AM
Yes. Although "die" also indicates plural ("die Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika"). "Der" seems to be used mostly for ex-colonies, where the name first designated a region and only later an independent country.

"Die" seems to be very rare. Maybe Zanza can think of more examples of countries using that article, besides Ukraine and Turkey.
Netherlands, Switzerland, Slovakia, Mongolia