And we're back!

Main Menu

Where to be born in 2013 vs. 1988

Started by Syt, December 03, 2012, 05:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on December 27, 2012, 05:19:11 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 27, 2012, 03:54:03 AM
And it being illegal to be gay, among other things. So no thank you.

But I guess being German, you would find the Third Reich a very good place to live, on the same basis, what with the trains running on time and every German family having access to slave labour.
:yeahright: Making cracks about someone based on their nationality?  That's not good form.
:lol:

Zanza

Quote from: DGuller on December 27, 2012, 05:19:11 AM
:yeahright: Making cracks about someone based on their nationality?  That's not good form.

Marty's compulsion to insult other people is pretty easy to ignore though.

Martinus

Insult? So it is insulting now to suggest that certain cultural characteristics of Germans contributed to Hitler's success?

Zanza

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on December 27, 2012, 07:53:45 AM
No. But that's not what you did.

Really? You said that Singapore is a "very good" place to live despite the police state and limited political freedoms (and things like being put in jail for being gay, among other things).

If it is fine to point out that Hitler's ideology appealed to Germans more than to other nations due to their certain cultural traits, then I do not see anything outlandish in a suggestion that being a cultural German yourself, you find an illiberal police state regime to be more appealing (as you perceive certain advantages it creates to be more important and certain disadvantages it involves to be less important) than people who do not share your German cultural traits.

So I still fail to see where anything I said is insulting, unless you are operating under some bizarre state of denial (e.g. that for some reason Germans managed to completely overhaul their culture during the life span of a single generation).

Zanza

Well, maybe you'll figure it out. But I doubt that.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on December 27, 2012, 08:09:24 AM
Well, maybe you'll figure it out. But I doubt that.

I think you are unable to figure something that is pretty obvious - which I find puzzling and this could only be a result of some sort of denial/brainwashing. But I guess it's hard to live with an understanding one is a member of the culture that created the most murderous regime in human history.

Zanza

No, that's pretty easy to understand and I am the last to deny that.

Try again.

Syt

I think Marty needs to get laid, badly. Or maybe he got laid, badly.

Zanza, unless you get some weird fun out of this, stop - it's not worth it. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on December 27, 2012, 08:20:03 AM
I think Marty needs to get laid, badly. Or maybe he got laid, badly.

That is what the pug is for.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on December 27, 2012, 07:14:20 AM
Insult? So it is insulting now to suggest that certain cultural characteristics of Germans contributed to Hitler's success?

It was insulting because you meant it to be insulting.  You meant it to be insulting because anyone who has anything positive to say about a place/person/thing/whatever that persecutes homosexuality is deserving of insult.  Zanza's nationality was just a means to an end.

Fireblade

I think we're all overlooking the part where the Economist says being born in Mexico is better than being born in Hungary.

katmai

Quote from: Fireblade on December 27, 2012, 11:01:05 PM
I think we're all overlooking the part where the Economist says being born in Mexico is better than being born in Hungary.

Jaron vs Tamas....sounds about right.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Fireblade

Quote from: katmai on December 27, 2012, 11:02:49 PM

Jaron vs Tamas....sounds about right.

Jaron and yourself are happy, fat, and successful. Tamas wakes up every day, walks by the swamp to go to the village shit pit, gets in his shitty 1980s Yugoslav car to go to work (occasionally encountering a traffic jam from a "herd of chickens" in the road,) sweeps floors and cleans toilets for 8 hours a day in an IBM call center, drives home to a delicious meal of beets cooked with chili powder, and falls asleep.

Mexico sounds like a magical place in comparison, yes.

Richard Hakluyt

.............and Saudi Arabia is better than both of them  :hmm:

Can't say that I'm very impressed with the list.