Another Murder-Suicide - NFL Player Theatrically Tops Himself

Started by mongers, December 01, 2012, 03:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

I disagree with Costas on gun control, and while he has every right to express his opinion on the matter, I don't think halftime was the right place.

I don't think he should be fired for it though (unless he was specifically told not to express his political opinion during the game, in which case that's between him and his bosses).

I do agree with him that it shouldn't take something like this for people to keep sports in perspective.

Neil

I can understand why this is controversial.  American society is based on hate and fear, and his remarks flew in the face of one of the cornerstones of the state of terror that most Americans live in.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

I didn't have a problem with what Costas said;  hell, that spot he has at halftime is precisely for his editorial exposition, e.g., Modell's death, Al Davis' death, etc.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 04, 2012, 08:41:12 AM
I didn't have a problem with what Costas said;

Shock, surprise, etc.

Quotehell, that spot he has at halftime is precisely for his editorial exposition, e.g., Modell's death, Al Davis' death, etc.

I question the need for that spot in the first place, with or without this week's rant.  Not that I think he should be fired.

He called in to Dan Patrick's show just a few minutes ago.  He seemingly backtracked & said he believed in the 2nd amendment and thought people had a right to have guns for self-defense (and thankfully he didn't mention hunting).  And he said he regretted the way he went about quoting Whitlock and that had he been able to contact him beforehand he would've qualified Whitlock's quote (not sure why he'd need permission to do that but whatever).  But then he went on to rant about how horrible & dangerous semi-auto firearms are and how nobody has any business possessing them.  Dan was kind of kissing his ass a little bit but did gently question whether Costas should have stated his opinion so strongly.

Btw I think Costas is taking a lot of the heat that should be leveled at Whitlock.  Whitlock said yesterday that the NRA is today's version of the KKK and apparently thinks that they are responsible for supplying inner cities with guns and drugs so that black people will keep killing each other.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I guess he should have beaten her to death, then suicided by cop. Everything is better now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 09:57:46 AM
Btw I think Costas is taking a lot of the heat that should be leveled at Whitlock.  Whitlock said yesterday that the NRA is today's version of the KKK and apparently thinks that they are responsible for supplying inner cities with guns and drugs so that black people will keep killing each other.
Well, that's a little bit crazy.  Sure, the NRA has had a pernicious effect on the United States, but the group isn't built to keep the black man down.  The fact that inner cities are flooded with guns is a side effect of their platform, not the goal of it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Ah Whitlock.  He always writes crazy takes like that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Kleves

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2012, 11:35:29 AM
Ah Whitlock.  He always writes crazy takes like that.
:yes: I don't really have a problem with Costas' statements, save that he seemed to quote Whitlock with approval.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 04, 2012, 08:41:12 AM
I didn't have a problem with what Costas said;

Shock, surprise, etc.

Well, it's his opinion, just like I don't have a problem with your right to bear fetuses to maintain a well-regulated militia.

Quotehell, that spot he has at halftime is precisely for his editorial exposition, e.g., Modell's death, Al Davis' death, etc.

QuoteWhitlock said yesterday that the NRA is today's version of the KKK

:lol:

Well, I'm sure their mailing lists have a substantial amount of overlap.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2012, 12:47:46 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 04, 2012, 12:43:32 PM
Well, it's his opinion

So?  You only have problems with what people say when they say facts?

:lol:  You obviously have problems with my opinion that it's his opinion.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 04, 2012, 12:53:25 PM
:lol:  You obviously have problems with my opinion that it's his opinion.

I just think you are full of it.

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.