News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Alaska-Yukon-BC vacation

Started by Maladict, December 01, 2012, 12:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Learning thru experience. I like it.

I can drive a stick, in theory, i've learned how to do it. I have no interest in doing so tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 03, 2012, 01:23:30 PM
I can drive a stick, in theory, i've learned how to do it. I have no interest in doing so tho.
I'm stuck with an automatic.  It takes the fun out of driving. :(

I liked the Evolution shifting gear on the wheel, but I totally dislike my car's "manual" transmission mode.  I just leave it on auto and forget about it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

My first car was a manual.  I bought it not knowing how to drive it.

If that's not motivation to learn, then nothing is.  I could get going right away with only a couple of stalls, and mastered it within a few days.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Quote from: Barrister on December 03, 2012, 01:59:55 PM

If that's not motivation to learn, then nothing is.  I could get going right away with only a couple of stalls, and mastered it within a few days.

I have a similar story.  I learned to drive on an automatic, and did so for ~5 years.  I knew the theory behind driving a stick but had never done it.  I was between vehicles and I got a great deal on a truck so I bought it even though it was a stick.  I taught myself the finer points on that truck. 

That was 20 years ago and I still have the truck.  After a few years I had to kids in carseats so I traded the truck to my brother for his Volvo 4 door sedan.  A few years later he sold the truck to my dad because he was getting a new car and the dealer was not going to give anything on the trade in. Now just a couple of years ago my dad bought a new truck and gave the Toyota back to me.  It just ists on the side of the house and goes to the dump once or twice a year.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on December 03, 2012, 01:38:55 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 03, 2012, 01:23:30 PM
I'm stuck with an automatic.  It takes the fun out of driving. :(

I liked the Evolution shifting gear on the wheel, but I totally dislike my car's "manual" transmission mode.  I just leave it on auto and forget about it.

From what I've read, cars that have some form of selectable transmission basically shouldn't have bothered--the manual mode is usually not very good. 

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on December 03, 2012, 01:59:55 PM

The first time I drove a manual, I couldn't reach the clutch ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.