News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

End of the LTTE?

Started by Viking, May 17, 2009, 08:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 18, 2009, 03:08:46 PM
Actually caliga, viking, blacks are Southerners.

I was making a very conservative estimate, as it is hard to track the number of yankees and hispanics who have merrily come here and refused to assimilate.

Southern Blacks!!!
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Berkut

Oh well, divide and conquer spells misfortune for our nation. We may overcome eventually anyhow.

Yeah, it is a bitch to convince the slaves that you are really on their side, isn't it?

So unfair.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on May 18, 2009, 03:13:24 PM
Yeah, it is a bitch to convince the slaves that you are really on their side, isn't it?

Should've promised them their freedom if they had fought.  That is, earlier than we did.   :cry:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

I actually really knew what you meant, Lettuce, but I wanted you to come out and say it. :contract:

IMO a Southerner is someone who lives in the South, period.  I don't like this whole nonsense about "carpetbaggers".... arguably my Southernness is more significant than yours because I chose to live here, whereas simple happenstance rendered you 'Southern'.

OTOH you can (and probably will) make the argument that Kentucky isn't really the south, since it did not join Dixie and revolt wholesale.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on May 18, 2009, 02:55:12 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on May 18, 2009, 02:54:04 PM
You laugh, but Southerners and Tamils are the largest national groups to be denied autonomy. They deserve a country as much as we do.

Kurds, Tibetans, Uigurs ?
There are 60 million Tamils if you count those living in India IIRC
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on May 18, 2009, 03:17:01 PM

Should've promised them their freedom if they had fought.  That is, earlier than we did.   :cry:

Indeed.

Of course, if you had been willing to give them their freedom, there never would have been a fight to begin with.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on May 18, 2009, 03:24:46 PM
Of course, if you had been willing to give them their freedom, there never would have been a fight to begin with.

Of course there would have been, what are you talking about?  The war was about STATES RAHTS.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Lettow77

Blacks revolted due to class interest. Coincidentally, postwar treatment by other Southerners vindicated their actions. Im sorry about that, but I didint do it. None of this makes them non-Southerners.

The idea that someone who lives in the South is a Southerner makes about as much sense as anyone who lives in England being english. mind, alot of people will accept that notion, so there you go. But there is a national/ethnic/cultural identity, I hope you understand.

Kentucky is in the South, but I no longer think Southerners are the majority there? It is hard to say. Southerners may only be a signifigant minority, with appalachians and yankees outnumbering them.

As far as Kentucky's conduct in the war is concerned, they have little to be concerned with. Like many blacks, economic concerns tied large portions of Kentucky to the north, to the point where commercial interests trumped national identification. Even so, and despite the state being wholly occupied for much of the war, Kentuckians served their nation with distinction. The Orphan brigade leaves very small room for criticism.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

derspiess

So how do you tell if someone in the South is Southern or not?  Is it just the way they talk?  Or do they need to consume a certain amount of grits per year?  Watch NASCAR??
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Berkut on May 18, 2009, 03:24:46 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 18, 2009, 03:17:01 PM

Should've promised them their freedom if they had fought.  That is, earlier than we did.   :cry:

Indeed.

It was about freedom and self determination adn states rights!
PDH!

Neil

I was making a very conservative estimate, as it is hard to track the number of yankees and hispanics who have merrily come here and refused to assimilate.
The North won the war.  They don't have to assimilate, because they were right.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 18, 2009, 03:18:55 PM
IMO a Southerner is someone who lives in the South, period.  I don't like this whole nonsense about "carpetbaggers".... arguably my Southernness is more significant than yours because I chose to live here, whereas simple happenstance rendered you 'Southern'.

To Lettuce we have to embrace and create old world ethnic bullshit of collective rights and purity.  The South will be free when they have their own country and make everybody who lives there who is not 'Southern' some sort of foreigner.  For freedom, of course.

I prefer the individual rights the people who founded this country embraced.

Anyway the idea the Tamils and the many other groups of people in the subcontinent lack 'autonomy' in the Democratic State of India is a dangerous idea that would result in the deaths of tens of millions if psychopathic nutcases like Lettuce have his way.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2009, 04:37:25 PM
I prefer the individual rights the people who founded this country embraced.
Except they didn't.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on May 18, 2009, 04:51:12 PM
Except they didn't.

Well they laid the foundation for it at least :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Lettow77

You know, valmy, I believe in individual liberties and the sanctity of sovereign states over an overbearing central government.

Its not like I would ever encourage any ethnic cleansing or the sort. The South as a free country would just be able to govern itself more in line with it's population's desires than it does now, and its culture would stop receding and start recovering.

Im not a 'psychopathic nutcase' by any means. Y'all have some pretty out there notions of me, and I apologise for that.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'