No Person Got Shot, Stabbed, Slashed, or Murdered in NYC Monday

Started by garbon, November 28, 2012, 11:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

That is what makes NYC exciting. In Berlin, they nanny everybody. In NYC, an impromptu live version of the Warriors might break out.

USA wins.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 28, 2012, 12:21:48 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2012, 11:35:12 AM
The New York crime rate is really a marvel.  If it really ends up around 400 it will be lowest number of annual murders in NYC since pre-prohibition days.  When you compare the populations that is astounding.  Whatever they are doing I hope every city can.

The trouble is that we don't know why the crime rates are falling. In the UK homicides peaked 10 years ago and then started falling, there were only 550 last year.......in a population of 63m. Most of the other crimes are falling too, even though we are also in the 4th year of economic gloom and despondency, most of the "experts" predicted it would go up with economic hard times  :hmm:
Well now, our Western societies are just failing at even getting crime done right!   ;)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 28, 2012, 12:21:48 PMThe trouble is that we don't know why the crime rates are falling. In the UK homicides peaked 10 years ago and then started falling, there were only 550 last year.......in a population of 63m. Most of the other crimes are falling too, even though we are also in the 4th year of economic gloom and despondency, most of the "experts" predicted it would go up with economic hard times  :hmm:
I wonder how much of it's to do with ageing?

QuoteIt may be astounding for a US city, but it's still way, way too high by European standards.  Germany, all of it, has about 200 murders per year.
Indeed.  Boris always likes that line when plugging London (recently in India) over New York as a city to do business in - we've more bookshops and less murder :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Thank God we don't have Europe's pickpocket problem though.

Anyone got any comparative stats on muggings?

Sheilbh

Don't know if this is accurate or would cover pickpocketing (which has never happened, ever, to anyone I know), or whether it's just muggings:
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rob_vic-crime-robbery-victims
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 28, 2012, 10:04:02 PM
Don't know if this is accurate or would cover pickpocketing (which has never happened, ever, to anyone I know), or whether it's just muggings:
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rob_vic-crime-robbery-victims

No real gypsies in England. :contract:

CountDeMoney

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on November 28, 2012, 07:36:30 PM
Regardless of that, the point is that NYC murder rate is impressive for a US city.  Compared to Western European countries, even many economic basket cases, it's still atrocious.

Why the fuck do we care about Europe? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 28, 2012, 09:52:08 PM
I think it looks like we're doing ok....

http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/10/homicide-rates

This is masking the relative safety of Europe.  There is an infinite difference expressed as a ratio between a rate of 0 and 3. 

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2012, 10:29:37 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 28, 2012, 07:36:30 PM
Regardless of that, the point is that NYC murder rate is impressive for a US city.  Compared to Western European countries, even many economic basket cases, it's still atrocious.

Why the fuck do we care about Europe? :huh:
As a point of comparison?  We should probably measure ourselves against Europe rather than Venezuela.

garbon

But no one was making comparisons till you came in blathering about Europe. Like it so much, go back! :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2012, 10:40:17 PM
But no one was making comparisons till you came in blathering about Europe. Like it so much, go back! :angry:
Pardon me for targeting what is known to be humanly possible, and not just against own past experience.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2012, 10:40:17 PM
Actually Ukraine's as dangerous as the US.  DG's safe nowhere! :(
Let's bomb Russia!