No Person Got Shot, Stabbed, Slashed, or Murdered in NYC Monday

Started by garbon, November 28, 2012, 11:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Zoupa on November 28, 2012, 03:15:34 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2012, 11:35:12 AM
The New York crime rate is really a marvel.  If it really ends up around 400 it will be lowest number of annual murders in NYC since pre-prohibition days.  When you compare the populations that is astounding.  Whatever they are doing I hope every city can.

:huh:

You mean a marvel for the US?

The province of Quebec and NYC both hover around 8 million people. We had 84 homicides last year.

Again, population density applies. Quebec's pop. density is only 15.3/sqm compared to NYC's 27,000. :contract:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on November 28, 2012, 03:25:39 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 28, 2012, 03:15:34 PM
The New York crime rate is really a marvel.  If it really ends up around 400 it will be lowest number of annual murders in NYC since pre-prohibition days.  When you compare the populations that is astounding.  Whatever they are doing I hope every city can.

:huh:

You mean a marvel for the US?

The province of Quebec and NYC both hover around 8 million people. We had 84 homicides last year.

Again, population density applies. Quebec's pop. density is only 15.3/sqm compared to NYC's 27,000. :contract:

:yes:

When you have everyone on top of one another - tempers flare.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on November 28, 2012, 12:51:07 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 28, 2012, 12:35:53 PM
It may be astounding for a US city, but it's still way, way too high by European standards.  Germany, all of it, has about 200 murders per year.

That's hardly a fair comparison. NYC has a population density of 27,000+ per square mile, while Germany has a population density of 230 per square km.
I'm sure at least 10,000,000 million of the Germans live in high density cities, and unless the murder rate is negative in the countryside, their cities still have less murders.

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on November 28, 2012, 03:41:49 PM

That's hardly a fair comparison. NYC has a population density of 27,000+ per square mile, while Germany has a population density of 230 per square km.
I'm sure at least 10,000,000 million of the Germans live in high density cities, and unless the murder rate is negative in the countryside, their cities still have less murders.

And if you can provide something that says that, I'll believe you. :)

By the way, Wiki says that there isn't a single German city with a higher population density of more than 5k/sq km. Nowhere near the same as NYC.

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on November 28, 2012, 03:54:08 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 28, 2012, 03:41:49 PM

And if you can provide something that says that, I'll believe you. :)

By the way, Wiki says that there isn't a single German city with a higher population density of more than 5k/sq km. Nowhere near the same as NYC.

OK lets compare, what you'd regard as like with like, Hong Kong has a population of about 7million and is suitably densely populated. There current murder rate appears to be about 2.2 homicides per month.   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Why the fixation with population density anyway?  It's not like Manhattan is driving the murder statistics.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on November 28, 2012, 04:27:47 PM
Why the fixation with population density anyway?  It's not like Manhattan is driving the murder statistics.

Because people on top of people makes for more opportunity to commit - and to get away with - a crime. Having a population of 2 million people spread out so thin that there's only 3.5 people per sq mile doesn't provide the same opportunity as having 27,000 people per sq mile.

Capetan Mihali

When murder is outlawed, only outlaws will be murderers.   :cry:

And let's head it off at the pass: "This is Giuliani Time!"  :yeah: 

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on November 28, 2012, 04:34:38 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 28, 2012, 04:27:47 PM

Because people on top of people makes for more opportunity to commit - and to get away with - a crime. Having a population of 2 million people spread out so thin that there's only 3.5 people per sq mile doesn't provide the same opportunity as having 27,000 people per sq mile.
Sounds like an unwarranted assumption.  Again, NYC itself is a data point that doesn't follow this pattern.  The most dangerous boroughs are Brooklyn and Bronx, which are half as dense as Manhattan.

Viking

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 28, 2012, 04:38:47 PM
When murder is outlawed, only outlaws will be murderers.   :cry:

And let's head it off at the pass: "This is Giuliani Time!"  :yeah: 

I'm saying that when the Cops do it, it's *not* illegal!
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on November 28, 2012, 04:43:09 PM
Sounds like an unwarranted assumption.  Again, NYC itself is a data point that doesn't follow this pattern.  The most dangerous boroughs are Brooklyn and Bronx, which are half as dense as Manhattan.

It's a very long, very old argument among sociologists. A bunch believe that density is a factor. Others believe that it's not. I think the majority of studies show that it has a lot more to do with unemployment/poverty than density, but that in densely populated cities you're more likely to have higher unemployment/poverty.

To my mind, that seems like six of one, half a dozen of another.

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on November 28, 2012, 05:28:48 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 28, 2012, 04:43:09 PM

It's a very long, very old argument among sociologists. A bunch believe that density is a factor. Others believe that it's not. I think the majority of studies show that it has a lot more to do with unemployment/poverty than density, but that in densely populated cities you're more likely to have higher unemployment/poverty.

To my mind, that seems like six of one, half a dozen of another.
To my mind, that's definitely not.  Assuming that what you said is true, population density is acting as a proxy for the real causative factors.  Proxy variables are never as good as the real thing, and they add noise.  And on a more general note, these sociologists most likely compared murder rates within US, which would most likely not touch upon the reasons for the order of magnitude difference in the murder rates between US and many countries in Europe.

dps

It's pretty clear that within the US, more densely populated areas tend to have more crime.  Whether or not the density itself is among the reasons for that isn't clear.

DGuller

Regardless of that, the point is that NYC murder rate is impressive for a US city.  Compared to Western European countries, even many economic basket cases, it's still atrocious.