Filibuster fight may threaten accord on avoiding fiscal cliff

Started by jimmy olsen, November 27, 2012, 09:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Good, filibuster has been abused to much lately.

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/26/15462105-filibuster-fight-may-threaten-accord-on-avoiding-fiscal-cliff?lite
Filibuster fight may threaten accord on avoiding fiscal cliff
By Tom Curry, NBC News national affairs writer

In a clash on the Senate floor Monday, Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell said that Majority Leader Harry Reid's planned move to change the Senate filibuster rule could jeopardize chances of reaching a deal on avoiding tax hikes and spending cuts at the end of the year.

"We have huge issues before us here at the end of the year, much of which will probably carry over into next year," McConnell said in a debate with Reid that lasted nearly 30 minutes. "It's a time that we ought to building collegiality and relationships and not making incendiary moves that are damaging to the institution and could have serious ramifications on our ability to work together here at the end of the year."

Reid called his proposed rule change "minor" and an attempt to make the Senate "more efficient" – but McConnell vehemently disputed that. "This is no small matter, this is a big issue about the future of this country and how this institution ought to be operated," the Kentucky Republican said.

McConnell accused his Democratic counterpart of intending to "break the rules of the Senate in order to change the rules of the Senate."

He pointed out that under the current Senate rules it takes 67 senators to enact a rule change.

But Reid may move in January as soon as the Senate convenes for the new session of Congress to change the rules by a simple majority vote.

McConnell said Reid had used his power under the Senate rules to prevent Republican senators from offering amendments on proposed bills.

"He alone, out of 100 of us, gets to decide who gets to offer an amendment," McConnell complained. "In other words he gets to pick our amendments for us."

Therefore, McConnell said, the Republicans had responded by slowing or blocking debate through filibusters.

If Reid wants to defeat filibusters, McConnell suggested, he should "use the fatigue factor to grind down opposition" by forcing senators who were filibustering motions or bills to stay on the Senate floor and keep speaking.

But Reid said that "to the average American, these reforms are just common sense... America believes Congress is broken. Once again the only ones who disagree are Mitch McConnell and Republicans in Congress."

He added later, "As I've traveled this country, people said, 'Do something to change the Senate so we can get things done.'"
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote"We have huge issues before us here at the end of the year, much of which will probably carry over into next year," McConnell said in a debate with Reid that lasted nearly 30 minutes. "It's a time that we ought to building collegiality and relationships and not making incendiary moves that are damaging to the institution and could have serious ramifications on our ability to work together here at the end of the year."

LOL, like threatening to use the filibuster, Mr. Human-Turtle Hybrid?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 27, 2012, 09:25:09 PM

Seriously.  I mean, it's not like the filibuster has been one of the biggest obstacles to "collegiality and relationships" in the US Senate since Bush took office... :rolleyes:
Experience bij!

garbon

QuoteBut Reid said that "to the average American, these reforms are just common sense... America believes Congress is broken. Once again the only ones who disagree are Mitch McConnell and Republicans in Congress."

So I'm guess Reid doesn't count the constituents who continue to elect these Republicans to Congress as average Americans?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2012, 09:27:25 PM
So I'm guess Reid doesn't count the constituents who continue to elect these Republicans to Congress as average Americans?

They are obviously very silly people.

Admiral Yi

You guys would be croaking your heads off if it were a GOP simple majority suggesting a change in the filibuster rule.  :lol:

Really don't know why Harry is picking this fight right at this moment.  He still needs the House to pass legislation.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 27, 2012, 09:28:38 PM
They are obviously very silly people.

That's a given.  I'm starting to get rather annoyed with this "if they don't like it, vote them out" mentality.  It's not like a vote can comment that specifically on all aspects of a politicians use or misuse of the system.  I mean, it's not like we're loaded with red-blue ideologues who'll vote for anybody from their own party simply because they "have to be better" than the other guy.

Show me a ringing endorsement of the way both parties have been abusing the filibuster, and I'll eat my words.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 27, 2012, 09:29:49 PM
Really don't know why Harry is picking this fight right at this moment.  He still needs the House to pass legislation.

Probably an aggressive move to protect his Cowboy Poetry Festival :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 27, 2012, 09:25:09 PM
Quote"We have huge issues before us here at the end of the year, much of which will probably carry over into next year," McConnell said in a debate with Reid that lasted nearly 30 minutes. "It's a time that we ought to building collegiality and relationships and not making incendiary moves that are damaging to the institution and could have serious ramifications on our ability to work together here at the end of the year."

Is this CdM original, or have I missed a meme?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

You guys would be croaking your heads off if it were a GOP simple majority suggesting a change in the filibuster rule.  :lol:

Nope, I've been consistent on this issue.

They should do it too.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

You seemed to be cool with back in 2005.  This Romney loss seems to have hit you hard.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

That's usually the phrase you use when I say something you didn't want to hear.  How about this, "You positions have been entirely consistent and satisfactory, and you've taken the loss Romney and the bets you made related to the 2012 race with tremendous grace".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory