Main Menu

The war on men

Started by garbon, November 26, 2012, 12:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on November 27, 2012, 11:16:29 AM
Quote from: Viking on November 27, 2012, 11:13:01 AM
Quote from: mongers on November 27, 2012, 08:46:29 AM

So you take issue with the notion that a good proportion of women rank as Viking said "No, they go for social and economic traits." ?

Remember my caveat "except during ovulation". I'm not handsome but I do have quite a few of the brute barbaric physical traits, tall, muscular, healthy hair and skin as well as an ability to put on a fake bluff confidence from time to time. So in my case well over half my one night stands have been with women otherwise formally attached to other men.

And that, my friends, is a slut. :P

A brute barbaric slut, no less.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

dps

Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2012, 10:46:20 AM
Quote from: dps on November 27, 2012, 10:45:14 AM
Meh, I'm both ugly and poor, and I do OK.

You also had to put up with a helluva lot of drama!

Yeah, but I was doing OK before aa and I got together.

OTOH, someone might say that straight guys are going to have to put up with a lot of drama anyway, because, you know, we'll be dating/fucking women, not other guys.  But that would be sexist.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Legbiter on November 26, 2012, 08:23:21 PM
Minsky's browbeating wore me down so I dipped a toe into the scientific literature, such as can be achieved with 10 minutes of browsing.

I present: Premarital Sex, Premarital Cohabitation, and the Risk of Subsequent Marital Dissolution Among Women

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1741-3737.2003.00444.x/full

QuoteThe results presented in this article replicate findings from previous research: Women who cohabit prior to marriage or who have premarital sex have an increased likelihood of marital disruption. Considering the joint effects of premarital cohabitation and premarital sex, as well as histories of premarital relationships, extends previous research. The most salient finding from this analysis is that women whose intimate premarital relationships are limited to their husbands—either premarital sex alone or premarital cohabitation—do not experience an increased risk of divorce. It is only women who have more than one intimate premarital relationship who have an elevated risk of marital disruption. This effect is strongest for women who have multiple premarital coresidental unions.

Far as I can make out, if a woman has had more than one partner her long term marital stability risk drops to near 50% (see table 4). When at 16 or more past lovers the odds that a marriage to her will end in divorce rise to over 80%. Even women with only 5 partners see an increase in odds of divorce to 70%.

In short, if you're looking for the mother of your children, the less cock she's had, the better odds of your marriage surviving.

How is marital stability defined?
One thing that could be happening here is that a woman who has only had one partner in her entire life may be less likely to divorce, no matter how badly she is treated.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

merithyn

Quote from: dps on November 27, 2012, 11:24:31 AM

OTOH, someone might say that straight guys are going to have to put up with a lot of drama anyway, because, you know, we'll be dating/fucking women, not other guys.  But that would be sexist.

And shows an obvious lack of knowledge of gay men. :lol:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on November 27, 2012, 11:44:23 AM

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Well, yeah, but if you point out that gay men = drama, that would be homophobic.

merithyn

Quote from: dps on November 27, 2012, 11:56:48 AM

Well, yeah, but if you point out that gay men = drama, that would be homophobic.

I think your safest bet is to say that people = drama, some more so than others. ;)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Or men in general.  It is sort of hard for me to preach on the lack of drama for people who date men when I have never done so.  Heck under the intense chemical reactions of dating I have been a drama king from time to time much to my later embarrasment.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Drakken on November 26, 2012, 03:46:33 PM
I wouldn't marry Scarlett Johansson even if she put herself on her two knees begging to marry her.

:hmm:

There is a point at which one needs to relax their principles in order to enjoy life.