News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The war on men

Started by garbon, November 26, 2012, 12:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 27, 2012, 10:23:40 AM
They have a lot less ability to pick & choose.  I think Malthus's point (it was my point at least) was that you can be a below-average looking guy and still get with above-average looking girls. 

Oh ok.  I thought this was about getting 'plenty of action'.  Ugly women can get plenty of action.  Then you moved the goal posts on me <_<
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 27, 2012, 10:34:54 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 27, 2012, 10:23:40 AM
They have a lot less ability to pick & choose.  I think Malthus's point (it was my point at least) was that you can be a below-average looking guy and still get with above-average looking girls. 

Oh ok.  I thought this was about getting 'plenty of action'.  Ugly women can get plenty of action.  Then you moved the goal posts on me <_<

:yes:

Malthus just did the same to me!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on November 27, 2012, 10:34:54 AM

Conversation moved on to the ugliness of various Languish guys.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

dps

Meh, I'm both ugly and poor, and I do OK.

garbon

Quote from: dps on November 27, 2012, 10:45:14 AM

You also had to put up with a helluva lot of drama!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on November 27, 2012, 10:45:14 AM

Yeah. You just need to fuck crazy.

Martinus

Or to put it differently - the ideal is a trifecta: pretty/handsome, rich, sane. Most people are willing to settle for two. If you are poor and ugly and want to date pretty, though, you gotta go for crazy and poor.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on November 27, 2012, 10:50:00 AM
Or to put it differently - the ideal is a trifecta: pretty/handsome, rich, sane. Most people are willing to settle for two. If you are poor and ugly and want to date pretty, though, you gotta go for crazy and poor.

Heh, I like it.  :D Though that trifecta doesn't leave room for "charming/fun/confident personality" - with for hetero guys at least, is a key factor in terms of dating success.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on November 27, 2012, 10:57:55 AM

Heh, I like it.  :D Though that trifecta doesn't leave room for "charming/fun/confident personality" - with for hetero guys at least, is a key factor in terms of dating success.  ;)

Actually, that will often make up for looks/money quicker than just about anything else.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Man, it's been a while since I had to pretend to be charming.  I got pretty good at it in my day, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on November 27, 2012, 10:57:55 AM

I think this is part of "sane" (being the opposite of "crazy bitch"). :P

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on November 27, 2012, 10:58:34 AM

Actually, that will often make up for looks/money quicker than just about anything else.

That's what I banked on when I was dating  ;) (decades ago now) - I've never been great looking, and when I was dating I was poor as shit with no prospects for anything different (first as a university student, then as a potter's apprentice). I made money *after* I already was going out with my wife.

Of course, I lost my charm since then, and started to post on Languish.  :P

An analysis of my sanity I leave to others.  :D

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on November 27, 2012, 11:06:29 AM
I think this is part of "sane" (being the opposite of "crazy bitch"). :P

I've known too many insane-but-charming people ...  :D

Indeed, more seriously, a certain type of sociopath is characterised by being (initially) extremely charming and confident.

Viking

Quote from: mongers on November 27, 2012, 08:46:29 AM

So you take issue with the notion that a good proportion of women rank as Viking said "No, they go for social and economic traits." ?

Remember my caveat "except during ovulation". I'm not handsome but I do have quite a few of the brute barbaric physical traits, tall, muscular, healthy hair and skin as well as an ability to put on a fake bluff confidence from time to time. So in my case well over half my one night stands have been with women otherwise formally attached to other men.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on November 27, 2012, 11:13:01 AM
Quote from: mongers on November 27, 2012, 08:46:29 AM

So you take issue with the notion that a good proportion of women rank as Viking said "No, they go for social and economic traits." ?

Remember my caveat "except during ovulation". I'm not handsome but I do have quite a few of the brute barbaric physical traits, tall, muscular, healthy hair and skin as well as an ability to put on a fake bluff confidence from time to time. So in my case well over half my one night stands have been with women otherwise formally attached to other men.

And that, my friends, is a slut. :P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...