And we're back!

Main Menu

Church of England votes against woman bishops

Started by merithyn, November 21, 2012, 01:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: merithyn on November 23, 2012, 10:00:22 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 23, 2012, 02:24:46 AM

I'm hearing there is a lot of backlash over this from the government and MPs.

Huh. That's actually really interesting. I never really understood how the whole "official state church" thing worked. It'll be neat to see how this all plays out and how the UK's government will handle things.

Many people (rightly) point out that right now there are 26 seats in the House of Lords reserved for men only (i.e. the anglican bishops). The sheer idiocy of having one religion sending representatives to the government notwithstanding, the Church of England had a chance to rectify this but dropped the ball - so people who have been calling for kicking them out of the HoL have a much better case now.

Incidentally, that's why I think official state churches are a horrible idea. You just can't combine democratic rule of law and freedom of religion - something has to give eventually.

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on November 23, 2012, 10:42:19 AM
Many people (rightly) point out that right now there are 26 seats in the House of Lords reserved for men only (i.e. the anglican bishops). The sheer idiocy of having one religion sending representatives to the government notwithstanding, the Church of England had a chance to rectify this but dropped the ball - so people who have been calling for kicking them out of the HoL have a much better case now.

Incidentally, that's why I think official state churches are a horrible idea. You just can't combine democratic rule of law and freedom of religion - something has to give eventually.

Yep. That's why Thomas, John, et al didn't want it here in the states.

The HoL thing is kind of interesting. What is the justification for that? It's a way for them to protect the moral code of the nation?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Martinus

Quote from: merithyn on November 23, 2012, 10:54:42 AMThe HoL thing is kind of interesting. What is the justification for that? It's a way for them to protect the moral code of the nation?

Don't think so. When the whole thing started, these archbishops and bishops were powerful lords and landholders in their own right. It didn't make much sense to include lords temporal, but not lords spiritual (in fact, from that perspective, lords spiritual were probably somewhat more meritocratic and democratic, as they originated from elections by their respective synods, and not from simply being born with the title).

Barrister

And why is that?  I don't see any particular evidence that a democracy can't also have an official state church.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2012, 12:39:07 PM

And why is that?  I don't see any particular evidence that a democracy can't also have an official state church.

Because it becomes impossible to allow freedom of religion if the state church is allowed to dictate or otherwise influence laws that come in conflict, ie women in management roles and marriage equality.

The Brain

Quote from: merithyn on November 23, 2012, 12:44:27 PM

Because it becomes impossible to allow freedom of religion if the state church is allowed to dictate or otherwise influence laws that come in conflict, ie women in management roles and marriage equality.

There are a zillion laws that limit freedom of religion. So what if a state church has some input.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Dictate?  Sure.  But that's not the situation in Western countries with state churches.

Otherwise influence?  What's the problem?  Policies are influenced by hundreds of factors - why shouldn't the official church be one of them.

Gups

Incidentally, that's why I think official state churches are a horrible idea. You just can't combine democratic rule of law and Because it becomes impossible to allow freedom of religion if the state church is allowed to dictate or otherwise influence laws that come in conflict, ie women in management roles and marriage equality.

Nevetheless we appear to have freedom of religion at least equal to other western countries.

Gups

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2012, 12:56:20 PM
[Dictate?  Sure.  But that's not the situation in Western countries with state churches.

Otherwise influence?  What's the problem?  Policies are influenced by hundreds of factors - why shouldn't the official church be one of them.

Influence is one thing. Having seats in the legislature is another.

merithyn

Dictate?  Sure.  But that's not the situation in Western countries with state churches.

It appears to me that having the bishops in the HoL is an awful lot like giving lobbyists their own seats in the US Senate.

merithyn

Quote from: Gups on November 23, 2012, 12:56:55 PM

Nevetheless we appear to have freedom of religion at least equal to other western countries.

Not sure that's a very high bar. I don't believe that the US has nearly as much religious freedom as it should, and that's without an official state religion. We are held hostage by the Christian faith just as surely as if we had a strict guideline of Christians-only in the Senate and House.

Barrister

Quote from: Gups on November 23, 2012, 12:58:18 PM
[Dictate?  Sure.  But that's not the situation in Western countries with state churches.

Influence is one thing. Having seats in the legislature is another.

I have to admit I didn't know that.

Thinking about it though, and from what I know of the CoE, I'm willing to bet they don't vote as a monolithic block. :lol:  And when you consider there are 26 Lords Spiritual, out of a total membership of 760, I wouldn't get all bent out of shape about it.

Razgovory

I didn't think the House of Lords did anything.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on November 23, 2012, 01:03:25 PM
Quote from: Gups on November 23, 2012, 12:56:55 PM

Not sure that's a very high bar. I don't believe that the US has nearly as much religious freedom as it should, and that's without an official state religion. We are held hostage by the Christian faith just as surely as if we had a strict guideline of Christians-only in the Senate and House.

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017