Wranglers say 'Hobbit' animals died on unsafe farm

Started by garbon, November 19, 2012, 09:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 19, 2012, 07:30:39 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 19, 2012, 02:56:51 PM
It isn't news because stuff like this doesn't raise a significant concern. The only reason it's being reported is because of the big-name draw of the movie

You just answered your own argument.
Sure there are probably far worse abuses that happen to animals throughout the world every day.
But none of them are being perpetrated by a Hollywood studio backed by enormous resources making a mass market film that will reap billions.  That does make this a story.

That doesn't make it truly newsworthy, any more than any other tabloid obsession with the minutiae of celebrity life. Particularly as, according to the article itself, the issues were investigated and remedied.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

For a 'non-story' it certainly has some legs.  ;)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on November 20, 2012, 09:07:48 AM
That doesn't make it truly newsworthy, any more than any other tabloid obsession with the minutiae of celebrity life.

But this isn't about the minutiae of celebrity life or indeed about celebreties at all.  It is about large business enterprises with high public profiles engaging in activities contrary to their own publicly announced (and promoted) policies and contrary to industry standards. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 20, 2012, 03:20:59 PM
That doesn't make it truly newsworthy, any more than any other tabloid obsession with the minutiae of celebrity life.

But this isn't about the minutiae of celebrity life or indeed about celebreties at all.  It is about large business enterprises with high public profiles engaging in activities contrary to their own publicly announced (and promoted) policies and contrary to industry standards.

That's not exactly mutually exclusive.  It can be tabloid obsession and about a large business enterprise with a public profile.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on November 20, 2012, 03:22:54 PM
That's not exactly mutually exclusive.  It can be tabloid obsession and about a large business enterprise with a public profile.

Right - and it also can be a real news story and tabloid grist at the same time.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10848911

QuoteOn November 6, the SPCA received an anonymous letter alleging animals had been mistreated at the farm between January and August 2011.

It alerted Sir Peter and the American Humane Association, which oversees animal welfare on films, and sent an SPCA inspector to the farm.

"There wasn't anything in the allegations," said SPCA national chief executive Robyn Kippenberger. "This is certainly not about the animals. If it had been about the animals someone would have come to us when it was happening, not months later.

No one did."

garbon

I'm not sure I really get that article given that the production company already admitted they'd mishandled things back then but had taken steps to fix them. 

That does point out that the timing of these comments was for tabloid like maneuvers though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 20, 2012, 03:20:59 PM

Except that the facts as reported do not support that interpretation. Rather, what appears to be happening is some sort of employee-employer spat, in which a disgruntled former employee appears to be working PETA and the tabloid press in order to retroactively claim whistleblower status.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on November 20, 2012, 06:03:02 PM
Except that the facts as reported do not support that interpretation. Rather, what appears to be happening is some sort of employee-employer spat, in which a disgruntled former employee appears to be working PETA and the tabloid press in order to retroactively claim whistleblower status.

Those facts, even as you characterize them, are not inconsistent with my intepretation.  They are about the way in which a newsworthy item came to the press.  The manner in which a story comes to press attention is often sordid.  The newsworthiness of the item stands or falls on its own significance, and not the motivations of the source.
--Joan Robinson