Wranglers say 'Hobbit' animals died on unsafe farm

Started by garbon, November 19, 2012, 09:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on November 19, 2012, 05:14:33 PM
Except Chloe. She keeps throwing up all over the place and even though she is NOT my cat, apparently I have to drag out the fucking steam cleaner and clean it up myself for some damn reason.

Probably reads your posts.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 05:20:39 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 19, 2012, 05:14:33 PM
Except Chloe. She keeps throwing up all over the place and even though she is NOT my cat, apparently I have to drag out the fucking steam cleaner and clean it up myself for some damn reason.

Probably reads your posts.

I am impressed at how hard you are willing to post on Languish to save the animals.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2012, 05:06:22 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2012, 05:05:20 PMBe more clear next time.

Make a better point next time.

It was a salient point.  You're just too anti-me* to see it.

*meaning opposite of me
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on November 19, 2012, 05:50:39 PM
I am impressed at how hard you are willing to post on Languish to save the animals.

I put my money where my mouth is, and my time.

I washed and sterilized 120 dog food and water bowls this morning.  Shame you're not close enough to get one shoved up your ass.

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2012, 05:52:36 PM

*meaning opposite of me

Shake hands, and develop a new power source?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 19, 2012, 06:00:24 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2012, 05:52:36 PM

*meaning opposite of me

Shake hands, and develop a new power source?  ;)

You are a callous bastard.  You just want to create the largest explosion in the history of mankind combining sane and insane matter in that way.

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on November 19, 2012, 05:13:30 PMIn fact, I think there are some parts of the country where wild animals actually live in places with clifss and mountains and caves and other dangerous places, and the humans don't even fucking put up fences or anything for them.

True enough, but in general I expect that the wild animals that live near cliffs know how to avoid plummeting off of them. If you relocate an animal from wide open plains (or one bread from such stock) to a place with lots of rough terrain and steep cliff drops, you do have some responsibility for the broken legs and cliff plummeting that may occur as a result.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 11:35:36 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2012, 11:33:16 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 11:30:38 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2012, 11:28:21 AM
No you wouldn't.  People die all the time.  We post videos of it on You tube and laugh.

It is true people die all the time. I don't recall watching any videos of people dying on youtube and then laughing.  I also don't recall times where we said 30 people dying was not newsworthy.

Of course, not really sure what this has to do with anything as clearly animals aren't people.

Fuck, we had one last week.  Israelis knocked out a Hamas guy.  Laughs and good cheer was had by all.

I didn't see it, else I would have been disappointed.

Don't worry, maybe they'll get the #1 guy next airstrike.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2012, 06:14:04 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 19, 2012, 05:13:30 PMIn fact, I think there are some parts of the country where wild animals actually live in places with clifss and mountains and caves and other dangerous places, and the humans don't even fucking put up fences or anything for them.

True enough, but in general I expect that the wild animals that live near cliffs know how to avoid plummeting off of them. If you relocate an animal from wide open plains (or one bread from such stock) to a place with lots of rough terrain and steep cliff drops, you do have some responsibility for the broken legs and cliff plummeting that may occur as a result.
OK, so I have nothing but contempt for the intelligence of animals (or anything that's not me, for that matter), but even very stupid animals are generally good at not walking off a cliff.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on November 19, 2012, 02:56:51 PM
It isn't news because stuff like this doesn't raise a significant concern. The only reason it's being reported is because of the big-name draw of the movie

You just answered your own argument.
Sure there are probably far worse abuses that happen to animals throughout the world every day.
But none of them are being perpetrated by a Hollywood studio backed by enormous resources making a mass market film that will reap billions.  That does make this a story.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 11:54:57 AM
Quote from: Neil on November 19, 2012, 11:49:31 AM
I would imagine that the lawsuits will be quite reasonable towards him.  After all, the man is half the economy of New Zealand, and the other half is the slaughter of sheep.

Yeah, that was kind of my point. It's a shitty situation, but I can't imagine that much will happen. Peter Jackson is the source of a huge chunk of the New Zealand economy. Even NZ PETA folks would tread carefully with him, I'd guess.

That would suggest a level of rationality that many of the PETA types have never demonstrated.