And we're back!

Main Menu

Now what? Employment fraud??

Started by viper37, November 19, 2012, 10:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 20, 2012, 12:55:21 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 19, 2012, 10:20:17 PM
I posted a job offer on a local site, for an administrative assitant.  I'm asking for a basic college degree in accounting.

QuoteAdvertised wage is between 12-15$ an hour, part time depending on experience.

Dude what?

Why require a degree?

:huh:

That's a shit wage for a college grad, I guess, but it's not nothing, and I assure you it is completely normal, at least in SC.  Albeit possibly not in Montreal, where CAN$15 probably buys half a pack of cigarettes.  Is Viper in Montreal?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Well he's right insofar as ideally we wouldn't be in a place where a college degree is a requirement for admin assistant positions.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2012, 11:03:48 PM
Well he's right insofar as ideally we wouldn't be in a place where a college degree is a requirement for admin assistant positions.

For a part-time admin assistant, no less.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

It's a barometer that a certain level of basic literacy and problem solving skills have been reached, since high school diplomas are no guarantee.

Viper can't tell if an applicant can walk and chew gum at the same time, but the University of Whatevah has done it for for him by awarding a degree suitable for origami or bird cage lining.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 20, 2012, 11:41:12 PM
It's a barometer that a certain level of basic literacy and problem solving skills have been reached, since high school diplomas are no guarantee.

Viper can't tell if an applicant can walk and chew gum at the same time, but the University of Whatevah has done it for for him by awarding a degree suitable for origami or bird cage lining.

That's the problem in this case--a college degree from a university in Romania might not show any  more academic acheivement than that necessary to get a certificate of completion from an American kindergarten.

Grey Fox

@Ide No, he lives about an hour east of Quebec on the South Side of the St-lawrence.

Also, College here doesn't mean the same thing for Americans then for Viper.

It's a pre-university diploma, in between High-School & University proper.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 20, 2012, 12:12:04 PM
Is it even possible to have a "minor" degree in law?
bachelor degree, I guess?  I may have mixed the proper terms.

It's not a master degree outside of the anglo saxon education system.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 20, 2012, 12:55:21 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 19, 2012, 10:20:17 PM
I posted a job offer on a local site, for an administrative assitant.  I'm asking for a basic college degree in accounting.

QuoteAdvertised wage is between 12-15$ an hour, part time depending on experience.

Dude what?

Why require a degree?
College is 2-3 years after high school, depending on the diploma.  Minimum wage is 10$

I'm asking for College degree, but most who will apply won't have one.  So, if they only have high school, they get 12, maybe 13$, depending on experience.  Girls (it's mostly girls who will apply) who only have high school often have limited abilities to learn.
Preferably, they got college, they know accounting, they've seen things I don't have to teach them and they can learn.
On the down side, when they're too bright, they go to university and I lose them.  Anyway, I live in the groundhog day as I have trained someone new on average once a year for the last ten years.

12-15$ is on the low side, but it's close to the average of 17$/hr.  Rent is still cheap around here, unlike the insane prices of Montreal.

Bigger companies will offer 17-18$ for candidates with 10 years experience for this kind of job.  My friend's wife is working for a big accounting firm, locally, and she makes 17$ an hour after 12 years of experience for the same company.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

So we're talking about what in the US would be an Associate's degree?