News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Now what? Employment fraud??

Started by viper37, November 19, 2012, 10:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Receiving e-mails about pretty 18-19 year old girls who want to fuck me, I get it, I know it's not true, I ain't that dumb :P

Now, this is totally weird, and I don't get it.
I posted a job offer on a local site, for an administrative assitant.  I'm asking for a basic college degree in accounting.

I just got an application by e-mail.  The guy has a very interesting cv, way overqualified for the job, he has a minor degree in law and an MBA.  Some jobs for big companies with some interesting responsabilities.  Advertised wage is between 12-15$ an hour, part time depending on experience.

There is one problem.  All his job listings are in Europe, he lived & studied in Romania.
He gives me a local phone number (from my home the town), but the way he types the adress... it's not something a local would write, it's taken straight out of Google Maps.

So, I go ahead and search him on Facebook.  His profile says he lives in Romania.  His employer is in Romania, a big flower import company from the looks of it.  His profile seems legit, but it's hard to tell, I don't understand the language.

Obviously, it's some kind of fraud.  But what exactly are they hoping to gain??  I can see the deal with some mail order russian bride, I just don't get it with a fake identity for a job.  If it's not the guy on Facebook, then obviously I'd notice it during the interview.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

It could be him.  He might not have updated his Facebook profile.  E-mail his references or call him.  Worst that happens is you invite him for an interview and it's not him. 

QuoteHe gives me a local phone number (from my home the town), but the way he types the adress... it's not something a local would write, it's taken straight out of Google Maps.
Surely that's because he's Romanian?  I'd check my address on Google if I'd moved to a new country.

I work in a bar and we've currently got a Spanish dentist, accountant and primary school teacher.  Today we received a CV from another Spanish guy who's got ten years experience as an architect.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

I can't locate his cellphone, it says it's registered to an Ottawa company, and the local phone is not in his name, not even a full name, actually.

Receiving CV from people far away, or from people with Ph.D's in history, I'm used to it.  But this is a first.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

viper37

Quote from: PDH on November 19, 2012, 10:37:29 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 19, 2012, 10:32:38 PM
or from people with Ph.D's in history

In other words, fucktards.
Well, I think it was maybe a Master degree in history.  The one with 80% unemployment rate.
I think all Ph. D find themselves a job somewhere, in the dark corner of a museum, even if it's museum about knitting :P

Syt

If he made his MBA in Romania, it might not be equivalent to one from an American or Western European institution. We had a Romanian colleague at work - smart guy and definitely knew his stuff, but his "MBA" was done in early 90s Romania and he couldn't get it acknowledged in Austria.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I wouldnt get so worried about the address writing thing, different countries write addresses different ways and it does take a while to adapt.

Though if its a con....yeah. Can't see the pay off. Maybe he thinks he can get you to pay him to come to the interview?- this does happen....though of course not through giving the money before the interview.

I work in a bar and we've currently got a Spanish dentist, accountant and primary school teacher.  Today we received a CV from another Spanish guy who's got ten years experience as an architect.
How are these people getting the job?
When I was unemployed I couldnt even find bar work and the like due to being overqualified. <_<
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

I thought that in most cases when you tell someone he is overqualified for a job it simply means you think he is a fucktard but do not want to hurt his feelings. :P

PDH

Quote from: viper37 on November 19, 2012, 11:34:26 PM

Well, I think it was maybe a Master degree in history.  The one with 80% unemployment rate.
I think all Ph. D find themselves a job somewhere, in the dark corner of a museum, even if it's museum about knitting :P

Can't trust any of 'em.  All they do is sit around being dumbfucks.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on November 20, 2012, 02:00:42 AM
I thought that in most cases when you tell someone he is overqualified for a job it simply means you think he is a fucktard but do not want to hurt his feelings. :P
:hmm: Are you trying to trick us into saying that you're overqualified for something?

crazy canuck

Is it even possible to have a "minor" degree in law?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 20, 2012, 12:12:04 PM
Is it even possible to have a "minor" degree in law?

Look at BB. Doesn't even have a JD.  So yeah, it's possible.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: viper37 on November 19, 2012, 10:20:17 PM
I posted a job offer on a local site, for an administrative assitant.  I'm asking for a basic college degree in accounting.

QuoteAdvertised wage is between 12-15$ an hour, part time depending on experience.

Dude what?

Why require a degree?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

QuoteDude what?

Why require a degree?
Don't hate the player, hate the stupid broken game.

Quote from: Martinus on November 20, 2012, 02:00:42 AM
They never said that to me, it was always just the standard no reply at all.
I guess though that they want people who are going to stick around for the long haul- uneducated bums for whom the job is all they can achieve. Not somebody who just wants to make a bit of money whilst he looks for a real job.
██████
██████
██████