Walmart Workers Threaten to Strike on Black Friday

Started by Syt, November 19, 2012, 02:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 05:07:36 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 19, 2012, 04:46:27 PM
do you get compensation as in double pay, or another day off the week after?

No. Why would I? I get Thanksgiving off, which is more than a number of my co-workers get off.
I misunderstood.  I thought you meant you had no day off at all.  It's that Black Friday thing confusing me.  Typically American to request time off for a *shopping* holiday  :P :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

Most American companies give both Thursday and Friday off. Because I work for an insurance company owned by a hospital, I don't. There isn't a holiday for people getting sick. And the hospital does pay time and a half for those working the actual holiday, but only for full time employees.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 03:54:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 03:47:51 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 03:05:36 PM
Wal Mart floor employees only get paid holiday day for working Thanksgiving Day if they work both the Wednesday before it and the Friday afterwards.

So an employee can work the actual stat holiday and not get paid extra for working the stat?  How does that make any sense?

Been like that for quite a lot of places for ages:  you have to work both days bookending a holiday to get holiday pay, or it's just another Thursday for you.  I've had jobs like that before.

YOU DONT LIKE IT YOU DONT HAVE TO WORK HERE COMMIE PINKO GET A REAL JOB ROBBLE ROBBLE UNIONS DESTRY AMMURICA W#@$*( @)*& )@*(%$

Except that the policy isn't that you have to work Wednesday and Friday to get the holiday pay--it's that you have to work your last scheduled shift before the holiday and your next scheduled shift after the holiday to get holiday pay.  So if you're scheduled to work Tuesday, be off Wednesday, work Thursday and work Friday, the fact that you don't work Wednesday doesn't keep you from getting your holiday pay.  Miss work Tuesday, then you won't get holiday pay.

But there's no law that a company has to offer holiday pay at all (usual disclaimer about how there might be exceptions in some US jurisdictions). 

merithyn

That's the debate. There are those who believe that it should be a law.

Grey Fox

I like how after Otto's rant most posts are by Canadians :)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 20, 2012, 07:23:01 AM

Meh. Most of them are just Viper catching up. :P

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on November 20, 2012, 07:26:05 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 20, 2012, 07:23:01 AM

Meh. Most of them are just Viper catching up. :P
In my defense, I was still at the office ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on November 20, 2012, 06:57:54 AM
Most American companies give both Thursday and Friday off. Because I work for an insurance company owned by a hospital, I don't. There isn't a holiday for people getting sick. And the hospital does pay time and a half for those working the actual holiday, but only for full time employees.
Before I moved to Kentucky I worked for a Jewish medical center.  I didn't get a single 'free' holiday, not even Christmas. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: dps on November 20, 2012, 07:13:25 AM
But there's no law that a company has to offer holiday pay at all (usual disclaimer about how there might be exceptions in some US jurisdictions).
I wouldn't be surprised if holiday pay is required by California law.  California has all sorts of stupid laws about stuff like that, which complicates doing business in California quite a bit.  For example, my company acquired another firm in Orange County a few years back, and they have some dumb law about how you can't  mandate employees use or lose accrued vacation, which caused all sorts of problems.  Moral of the story: if you do an acquisition in California, get rid of as many of the California-based workers as possible. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: merithyn on November 20, 2012, 07:22:03 AM

So I see.  I had skipped ahead to correct the factually incorrect information about having to work Wed and Fri to get holiday pay.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on November 20, 2012, 07:13:25 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 03:54:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 03:47:51 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 03:05:36 PM
Wal Mart floor employees only get paid holiday day for working Thanksgiving Day if they work both the Wednesday before it and the Friday afterwards.

So an employee can work the actual stat holiday and not get paid extra for working the stat?  How does that make any sense?

Been like that for quite a lot of places for ages:  you have to work both days bookending a holiday to get holiday pay, or it's just another Thursday for you.  I've had jobs like that before.

YOU DONT LIKE IT YOU DONT HAVE TO WORK HERE COMMIE PINKO GET A REAL JOB ROBBLE ROBBLE UNIONS DESTRY AMMURICA W#@$*( @)*& )@*(%$

Except that the policy isn't that you have to work Wednesday and Friday to get the holiday pay--it's that you have to work your last scheduled shift before the holiday and your next scheduled shift after the holiday to get holiday pay.  So if you're scheduled to work Tuesday, be off Wednesday, work Thursday and work Friday, the fact that you don't work Wednesday doesn't keep you from getting your holiday pay.  Miss work Tuesday, then you won't get holiday pay.

In that case, then it's OK to fuck them over, right?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on November 20, 2012, 08:06:19 AM
Quote from: merithyn on November 20, 2012, 07:22:03 AM

So I see.  I had skipped ahead to correct the factually incorrect information about having to work Wed and Fri to get holiday pay.

Shift work is shift work is shift work.  Playing games about working your scheduled Tuesday and but off Wednesday before Thanksgiving doesn't mean it's any less sucky to have to jump through hoops to earn as meager a bone as holiday pay.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2012, 09:59:08 AM
Give it up, Seedy.  You lost this one.

Quick, distract him with a dead animal in Australia!  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2012, 09:59:08 AM
Give it up, Seedy.  You lost this one.

Wrong.  I've worked in plenty of shift work environments that played it all sorts of ways, and they still suck.

So go fuck yourself with a fetus without time and a half.